Shipping first coral - 85 degree weather

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends + reefers,

As you may have seen from a couple other posts I have made in the past I am finally going to try to ship my first coral. I am doing one day shipping from Ohio to Idaho. It looks like it will be going Tuesday or Wednesday with 78F-86F through the travel depending on the states it is going through. I am guessing this will need a cold pack - correct? For those who are experienced shippers - where do you typically place the cool pack in regards to the styrofoam container? Any suggestions on where to get one or a brand?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you shipping and what size box?

If the high of 86 is on the receiver end, I would definitely opt for the earliest delivery possible.

When I have shipped mushrooms and LPS in the past needing a cool pack, I've made my own with ice cubes in a vacuum seal bag.

You Do Not want the cool or heat pack close to or touching the coral bags. I normally tape them to the lid of the box.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to put the polar tech insulated styrofoam box in another box with shipping peanuts/cold packs in between? Or is that unnecessary.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Somone else told me not to do this as well. So I will just place the cool pack in between the packing material and top styrofoam lid with some newspaper around it.
yeah the cooler insulates it, so the effect of additional packs on the outside would prob be useless. The most important thing is shipping with the overnight/early morning delivery (not the end of day) and taking it to the shipping place as close to last call as you can.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the cooler insulates it, so the effect of additional packs on the outside would prob be useless. The most important thing is shipping with the overnight/early morning delivery (not the end of day) and taking it to the shipping place as close to last call as you can.
Thank you for the advice. Multiple people have given me the great advice of making sure to go in as late as you can, and going for Tuesday/Wednesday to avoid a weekend hangup. I am not sure what you mean by "shipping with the overnight/early morning delivery". I thought the best I could do is one day delivery?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. Multiple people have given me the great advice of making sure to go in as late as you can, and going for Tuesday/Wednesday to avoid a weekend hangup. I am not sure what you mean by "shipping with the overnight/early morning delivery". I thought the best I could do is one day delivery?
One day has 10am, 12 noon, 3pm and sometimes 5pm options. The earlier the better, and more expensive.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use FINISHIP which I believe was using UPS. Maybe that is why they were not giving me an option?

Also curious - what brand cold packs do you use? Was wondering if I could find them at Walmart or some local store, or if I have to order them online.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back