Shipping macroalgae?

starfishguy869

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2023
Messages
258
Reaction score
78
Location
Quebec
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking to ship some Halimeda and shaving brush macro. Could I just ship them with some wet paper towels wrapped around them in a bag? I can put them in an insulated envolope.
 
Both of them could be crushed in an envelope, add some ridged protection ( I have used pill boxes, plastic containers/ cups inside a ziplock with damp paper to prevent desiccation.

If they are attached to rocks preventing acceleration and crushing are both necessary.

Modern mail machines can destroy crushable, bulging packages easily and without remorse, but you can beat them if you are careful.
 
Not attached to rocks. Just a small lump of sand. I have small pill bottles. Will they survive with just a wet paper towel wrapped around them?
 
Fwiw I shipped thousands and thousands of dollars in chaeto in just usps padded envelopes in ziploc bags without water. Not the same macro, but chaeto was fine.
 
Not attached to rocks. Just a small lump of sand. I have small pill bottles. Will they survive with just a wet paper towel wrapped around them?
Did you end up trying the wet towel to ship those? Did it work? I'm curious..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new