Shipping softies across the border?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oscaror
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
4,600
Location
Ottawa, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the soft corals aren't protected by CITES, just if they're on liverock there could be trouble. But yeah, softies aren't protected by CITES, so is it possible to sell zoas, mushrooms, etc. across the border without paying too much?
 
I am no sure if coral will be diffrent then fish, but I don't think it is. This statement is assuming you are shipping to the US and from a person in the US. I am not sure what is involved from a Canadian stand point.

The person who is receiving the shipment will have to deal with US customs, to pay taxes and US fish and wildlife. Fish and Wildlife charges a importing fee plus you have to pay for agent to come inspect the package which they always don't do. You will also have to put a inventory form on the outside of the box and the product can only be shipped to certain airports designated as import stations. There are extra fees if the person isn't by a import station. I am not positive but I think if you have less them 8 individuals you don't have to do some of paperwork.

Best thing to do is call fish and wildlife.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new