Should I add a protein skimmer?

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Gallon with live rock live sand and lfs water I only plan to keep my two clowns and maybe a pistol shrimp and watchman goby in the future. Currently I’m only running two hob filters. Should I add a protein skimmer? The tidal 75 has a “surface” skimmer but idk how great that’s doing any tips would be appreciated!

image.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Gallon with live rock live sand and lfs water I only plan to keep my two clowns and maybe a pistol shrimp and watchman goby in the future. Currently I’m only running two hob filters. Should I add a protein skimmer? The tidal 75 has a “surface” skimmer but idk how great that’s doing any tips would be appreciated!

image.jpg
Are you planning to keep coral of any kind?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 gallon soft coral tank with no skimmer,,, just a Seachem Tidal 110 for mechanical filtration,,, and powerheads for flow.
My current perspective is that I don't need a skimmer and have more concerns about potential issues with HOB skimmers than worth me pursuing.
*no problem with nutrients but I like the idea of some potential benefits of running a skimmer,,, just not worth the effort and possible equipment issues to me right now
(((just one perspective)))

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do yes once I learn how to keep them! I was just thinking it will help with water quality
Maybe consider adding a skimmer later when the time to add coral gets close.

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
If you end up adding more fish, or end up keeping sps or other tricky corals I would do it, or a refugium

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a bio load that light you aren't going to need a skimmer, especially if you keep up with routine water changed. Maybe if you pack it with corals down the road. Although, it also won't hurt anything if you'd like to add one.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the LR and LS that should do it. just make sure there is plenty of flow do your WC on schedule and you *should* be fine. just dont over feed.

but i tell ya once you get going I bet you will want more fish. happens to us all. so be mindful of that. still possible you just have to be in tune with your tank more. skimmers help but not a must.

many way to export N& P in a reef tank.

good luck! and go slow but have fun.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the LR and LS that should do it. just make sure there is plenty of flow do your WC on schedule and you *should* be fine. just dont over feed.

but i tell ya once you get going I bet you will want more fish. happens to us all. so be mindful of that. still possible you just have to be in tune with your tank more. skimmers help but not a must.

many way to export N& P in a reef tank.

good luck! and go slow but have fun.
Thank you ive decided to hold off on now and focus on what i already have going and perfecting that.. i tend to take on and buy more than i kno..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back