Should I add another fish to my 25 gallon reef tank?

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got a true Darwin Clown, royal grama, a flame cardinal and a banner cardinal (4 fish in tank all about 2-3 inches). They all do well together and each have there own spots they like, the clown is definitely head honcho, every once in a while the royal grama opens its mouth at the clown but that’s it. I have been thinking about adding another ocelarris clown to attempt pairing with my current clown, do you think this would be too much for my 25 gallon or can it support one or more fish? The tank is about 6 months old going strong havnt had many issues, most parameters stay steady and I do a 20-30% water change weekly. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6662.mov
    32.9 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get opinions both ways, so in the end it will be your call anyways.

Fwiw my opinion would be no. I've always been conservative with numbers and careful with ensuring quality of care though.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tank ? If long rather than high, I might add a second clown but definitely no more after that.

Reason being the clowns will pair and pretty much both stay in the same spot so it’s almost like having 1 bigger fish. If they don’t pair, one will likely die.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your nutrient export? If your tank is handling the bio load fine, I don’t see an issue with another clownfish. One more two inch fish isn’t going to be detrimental to the rest of the inhabitants imo.

Guerrzack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! I would just have a divider of some sorts ready in case the clowns fight

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are evil. If you add another and they pair, they will eventually get into breeding behavior. Not good for the rest of your fish in a 25 gallon. I have three fish in my 25. It is peaceful, and I like that. I really like that. In my opinion, I would enjoy the current peace.

IMG_5886.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the tank ? If long rather than high, I might add a second clown but definitely no more after that.

Reason being the clowns will pair and pretty much both stay in the same spot so it’s almost like having 1 bigger fish. If they don’t pair, one will likely die.
It’s a little taller then I would say long but also has a descent amount of room

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your nutrient export? If your tank is handling the bio load fine, I don’t see an issue with another clownfish. One more two inch fish isn’t going to be detrimental to the rest of the inhabitants imo.
When you say nutrient export do you mean ammonia nitrite and nitrate? All of those have always been basically zero 100%. The only thing I am still having some issue with is phosphates being a bit high. Staying between .25-.35. I think it is my overfeeding I have a heavy hand and like to see them fat lol. Bites me in the butt in terms of algae growth though

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are evil. If you add another and they pair, they will eventually get into breeding behavior. Not good for the rest of your fish in a 25 gallon. I have three fish in my 25. It is peaceful, and I like that. I really like that. In my opinion, I would enjoy the current peace.

IMG_5886.jpg
If they do mate, will they become aggressive towards the other fish for no reason?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got a true Darwin Clown, royal grama, a flame cardinal and a banner cardinal (4 fish in tank all about 2-3 inches). They all do well together and each have their own spots they like, the clown is definitely head honcho, every once in a while the royal grama opens its mouth at the clown but that’s it. I have been thinking about adding another ocelarris clown to attempt pairing with my current clown, do you think this would be too much for my 25 gallon or can it support one or more fish? The tank is about 6 months old going strong havnt had many issues, most parameters stay steady and I do a 20-30% water change weekly. Thoughts?
nah I’d pass on it

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do mate, will they become aggressive towards the other fish for no reason?
Yes they can get nippy toward other fish and their owner. Heck my mature female almost killed my male when I moved their rock...took a couple weeks to settle in a new spot.

I have a 29 standard sized tank, a pair of mature spawning clowns and currently a sixline wrasse. I've had the clowns with a royal gramma before and they were fine...found their spots, but I wouldn't do more than 4 fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got a true Darwin Clown, royal grama, a flame cardinal and a banner cardinal (4 fish in tank all about 2-3 inches). They all do well together and each have there own spots they like, the clown is definitely head honcho, every once in a while the royal grama opens its mouth at the clown but that’s it. I have been thinking about adding another ocelarris clown to attempt pairing with my current clown, do you think this would be too much for my 25 gallon or can it support one or more fish? The tank is about 6 months old going strong havnt had many issues, most parameters stay steady and I do a 20-30% water change weekly. Thoughts?
I think that should be okay as long as youre doing water changes. Just be aware the full grown clowns should have a bigger tank with their size

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g and can't put my hand in the tank without chain mail
Yeah clowns are mean, had a female who darted across my six foot tank and jumped out trying to bite me in the face!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the reason is territorialism. Behaviors can range between "nippy", and "homicidal mania". In a 32 gallon biocube, my clowns killed a lawnmower blenny, purple firefish and almost a yellow watchman goby before I returned them to the LFS.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back