Should I Boost Nitrate and Phosphate?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see what people think I should do to boost and keep my nitrates and phosphates.

So, I've gotten my nitrate and phosphate measurement reliably down to <~5 and <0.10 (after lots of struggle with this), by controlling feeding, upping flow, vaccuming detritus every 1-2 weeks, using seachem matrix, prime, and phosbond; dosing vinegar; adding chaeto (been in a separate compartment for about a month and still green, though not growing) and sometimes decent, sometimes aggressive skimming. (livestock: a few zoas, BTA, three fish, gorgonian. And probably waaaay more matrix and rock-based biofilter than I need). I've been struggling a bit still with GHA and cyano. I've also

However, I went on vacation for two weeks, and while I was gone I think the fish sitter fed a bit more than he should have (and I think the supplemental auto-feeder was too high). When I came back there was loads of GHA and other forms of algae on the tank's rocks, (and fortunately decent coraline growth, and Noteworthy but predictable growth of the zoas) and no skimmate from setting the skimmer too low before leaving :rolleyes:.

However, in that situation, the nitrate was very low (undetectable by the salifert kit) and phosphate below the Hanna LR (not ULR) test kit's reliable measurement level (0.06 or so).

It seems the tank is very good at converting excess nutrients into various forms of algae.

I've cleared out 90% of the algae (and will try to clear out more) during my post-vacation water change.

I'm still concerned about what to do from here. I would like phosphates and nitrate to be a bit higher than what they are now (say, ~5 and ~0.10). At the same time, I'm not sure feeding more is desirable or the right way to go about it. (I will add a bit more livestock in the near future - 2 clowns, a monti and maybe a hardy acro).

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Simply because I’m told that keeping very very low nutrients like that is bad for corals.

Thanks, Randy. I will wait a few weeks, And measurements cycles,before messing with any of my parameters.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably already aware but the fact your growing green hair alge means you have more nutrients in the system then the test show. Being consumed before they can be tested.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply because I’m told that keeping very very low nutrients like that is bad for corals.

This is true in some cases, but not all. Some tanks do very well at near zero nitrate and phosphate while some do very poorly. On the other end of the scale, some tanks do very well with high nutrients while others don't. If your corals aren't responding negatively, I wouldn't change anything.

Back