Should I care about my low ORP value

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the hobby. Have a 55 gallon tank with an HOB filter and canister filter. I use HW Marinmix reefer salt. Tank has lps and softy’s.

I have had low PH (7.6 to 7.7) and have recently started dosing kalkwasser as my Alkalinity and calcium with the hope of raising PH as well

My tank actually is looking good and things are growing. Fish all healthy.

Parameters
Alk - 11.2 - higher than perhaps I would like but a side effect of kalkwasser. I use about 3/4 tsp per 6 liters so not very strong solution but since starting it I have seen improvement in the tank. Thinking of going to a salt mix with lower starting alk to combat the higher alk on kalkwasser. I do 5 gallon water changes each week.

Ca - 440
Mg - 1400
Nitrate - 12
Phosphate - .1
Salinity - 33
Temp 77
PH 7.8 during day and up to 7.9 at night when kalk starts dosing. Was hoping to get a higher boost but I cannot use full strength with the corals in my tank not taking it up fast enough.

I have a Neptune apex and my ORP hangs at 220 and drops down to 190. I know many people don’t even look at ORP but since I am looking - does this low value matter? Should I be concerned or just ignore? Thanks in advance for the help.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 83 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back