Should I change my sump?

jaycubed

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a 100% a novice. May add a refugium down the road but that is not my top priority. My tank is a 110g reef tank (no corals yet, waiting for it to establish more). Should I change my sump? I got this entire setup from a buddy so I have minimal invested to date.

It has become very difficult to take off the collection cup for my skimmer to clean because of the size. Current sump dimensions are 24x16x12. I just don’t have much room up top with the tank stand being as low as it is. As you can see the collection cup goes underneath the cover by a good bit. The top edge of the sump really only gives me a couple inches to work with

Would a shorter sump be an option? If so, would I need a new skimmer? I really do not want to give up any size. I could go much wider though. The other option would be to build a new base, but that would not be fun to transport everyone over once done. Thoughts? Or should I just live with having to be a contortionist as part of the hobby.

Picture for reference. I know it needs to be cleaned.

IMG_6919.jpeg
 
Last edited:
A shorter sump won't help you in taking of the skimmer cup but will help you to get it out of the stand.
You could do a skimmer locker. That would help not taking the cup off but only a few times a year to clean the neck.
Honestly, a taller stand would be the best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new