Should I dose Kalk to raise PH?

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525XL mixed reef tank. I have a Neptune Apex system with Trident and DOS. I use my DOS to dose ALK and Calcium. My PH ranges daily from 7.7 to 7.9. I keep my ALK at 8.5 and Calcium at 400. I am considering adding Kalk to my ATO for the purpose of raising PH. I am looking for advice on this from someone who is currently doing this or has in the past.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people use kalk, and many use kalk in their ATOs. It is *best to use a doser for kalk, but many folks just add it to ATO. You can experiment a little.

Any specific questions?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your consumption of Alk per day, per week?

Diluted Kalk has a dKH of about 40-50 o_O

You go slightly overdosing Kalk your Alk will be 13-16 or higher before you know it.

You gotta know exactly what your coral are absorbing before dosing kalk

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in my ato for about 2 years. I did 3 teaspoons/gallon and then supplemented with 2 part as needed. Kept my alk super stable within a 0.2 range and pH 7.8-8.0. I've recently switched to dosing kalk with my DOS. On my office tank (which always had higher pH anyway since co2 levels are lower), it's working out. But at home, since switching, my pH has consistently been <7.8 and my alk swings almost 0.5 throughout the day. Gonna continue to try to hone it in a little, but if I can't get tighter control of my alk and higher pH, I'm going back to my old method.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 525XL mixed reef tank. I have a Neptune Apex system with Trident and DOS. I use my DOS to dose ALK and Calcium. My PH ranges daily from 7.7 to 7.9. I keep my ALK at 8.5 and Calcium at 400. I am considering adding Kalk to my ATO for the purpose of raising PH. I am looking for advice on this from someone who is currently doing this or has in the past.
Your alk may get too high if it's not being consumed. Why is ph low, should you worry?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back