Should I dose kalkwasser?

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it would be ok for me to start dosing kalkwasser to my reef tank. I currently don’t have many corals but have some on the way. My biggest concern is that my tank doesn’t seem to lose much if any calcium daily while my alkalinity goes down like 0.3 dkh daily. I’ve been dosing alk to keep it at 9.1 but have noticed very little if any change to my calcium through out the week. Based of that would dosing kalkwasser be a good idea or a bad one bc I only lose alkalinity and barely any calcium. I’m scared dosing kalk will cause my calcium to slowly go up bc they are dosed together.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it would be ok for me to start dosing kalkwasser to my reef tank. I currently don’t have many corals but have some on the way. My biggest concern is that my tank doesn’t seem to lose much if any calcium daily while my alkalinity goes down like 0.3 dkh daily. I’ve been dosing alk to keep it at 9.1 but have noticed very little if any change to my calcium through out the week. Based of that would dosing kalkwasser be a good idea or a bad one bc I only lose alkalinity and barely any calcium. I’m scared dosing kalk will cause my calcium to slowly go up bc they are dosed together.
Since you don't currently have coral, you could try it and see what the results are, but if you don't need it, why worry about anything but alk?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To clarify, with an alk demand of 0.3 dKH per day, it will take a while to see the expected calcium decline of only 2 ppm per day.

Once the corals arrive, it's fine to start dosing. To add 0.3 dKH per day will take 0.26% of the tank water volume in saturated limewater (kalkwasser).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ArnelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, with an alk demand of 0.3 dKH per day, it will take a while to see the expected calcium decline of only 2 ppm per day.

Once the corals arrive, it's fine to start dosing. To add 0.3 dKH per day will take 0.26% of the tank water volume in saturated limewater (kalkwasser).
Sounds good when they get to me that’s exactly what ima do. I’ll dose 0.3dkh per day of kalk and test ti make sure all is good. Thank you so much extremely useful both of you guys thanks

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back