Should I even use sand?

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my last post I asked how many inches of sand should I use in the reef in setting up, but now I am leaning towards bare bottom, any advice?? Which is better? And is live rock okay in a bare bottom? Will it scratch my glass??

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ways will work and its up to, decide if you need sand or not. I like bb because you can have tons of flow and too clean up detrius is a breeze. On the bottom you can use starboard, plastic sheet so your rocks stay put and wont put pressure on the bottom glass. hth

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can certainly choose to go bare bottom if you'd like. Live rock is fine on the bottom of the tank. Most people lay the rock on the bottom anyway for stability and then add sand around it. I personally think that sand gives the tank a more natural look. If you use a shallow sand bed, it's another place for critters to grow. It also can collect detritrus but if you keep some CUC that keep it stirred and siphon portions out at water changes, it's really not detrimental to have a sand bed imo. If you do decide on sand, you'll want to have a more medium grain sand so that powerheads don't create a sand storm.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my last post I asked how many inches of sand should I use in the reef in setting up, but now I am leaning towards bare bottom, any advice?? Which is better? And is live rock okay in a bare bottom? Will it scratch my glass??

Running a bb tank may be a bit more expensive. You might have to dose mag. and alk. to keep your levels in check. But your tank will be easier to clean

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a dsb, now I've been bb for almost a year

Attachments

• 1407627800354.jpg
    1407627800354.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 150

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a bb tank may be a bit more expensive. You might have to dose mag. and alk. to keep your levels in check. But your tank will be easier to clean

I don't dose any more or less with or without sand.

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me bare bottom definitely looks like it is missing something. An inch or so of sand is very easy to maintain.

Back