Should I get a Lemon peel angel?

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm deciding whether to get a Lemon peel angel or not. I heard they are hit & miss with reefs. I have some Kenya trees, purple pulsing xenia, green sinularia, red rose anemone, some utter chaos and other zoa's. Just don't know if it will nip at them.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a captive-bred fish. They're out there: I picked up a small one a couple of weeks ago.

I have a number of softies and LPS in the Reefer 350 in which I put it. I've watched it carefully, and it does poke at the occasional polyp...but it seems to be more interested in the algae growing on the frags. The coral seems fine. My aiptasia-eating filefish caused much more damage to my softies than I've ever seen any of my angels inflict on anything in my builds.

I've heard that you've got a 50-50 chance of getting a coral nipper if you get a lemonpeel. If you can't stand the thought of losing your corals, don't get a lemonpeel. I'd risk the Kenya Tree myself, though...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have avoided any kind of angels in my reef tanks as I have read they can be coral eaters. So my opinion is solely based on research and not firsthand experience.

If you want that vivid yellow color, and not put your corals at risk, AND if your budget allows, why not try a yellow tang? I got mine from Biota a couple months ago. He is an active swimmer, good algae grazer, and best of all is reef safe!!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50/50 on dwarf angels will always get mentioned. The lemon peel is actually worse than that. I would put a dwarf angel in a reef, but not a lemon peel.

Back