Should I get another clownfish so I have a pair?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ejp1288
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ejp1288

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Location
indianapolis
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I got a pair of percula clownfish a month ago. The male ended up recently dying from what I believe to be an internal parasite. He was also bullied a bit by the female. She would chase him around a bit too much for my liking. That added stress probably did not help him out.

Now, she is alone. I would like to get another percula but also do not now how the new female will take it. Would she be expected to be pretty mean for a while?

This is a 15 gallon with no other fish. Soon an anemone.
 
Hello!

I got a pair of percula clownfish a month ago. The male ended up recently dying from what I believe to be an internal parasite. He was also bullied a bit by the female. She would chase him around a bit too much for my liking. That added stress probably did not help him out.

Now, she is alone. I would like to get another percula but also do not now how the new female will take it. Would she be expected to be pretty mean for a while?

This is a 15 gallon with no other fish. Soon an anemone.
Best way is to get a male half her size and use an acclimation box for her to see him before letting him loose. She will chase him for a little thats normal. But if you have something like ich or velvet in the tank then thats going to need to be addressed first
 
Best way is to get a male half her size and use an acclimation box for her to see him before letting him loose. She will chase him for a little thats normal. But if you have something like ich or velvet in the tank then thats going to need to be addressed first
Thanks! How long would you put him in the box for?
 
I had 2 in a 20 gallon long, a small tank, yet once they started spawning they stayed in the corner.

With one clown in a tank it generally swims around more.

Are you interested in anything else?
 
I had 2 in a 20 gallon long, a small tank, yet once they started spawning they stayed in the corner.

With one clown in a tank it generally swims around more.

Are you interested in anything else?
They will be the only fish. But there’s some snails and crabs and a feather duster too.
 
If you put one in an acclimation box for a couple of days, and your tank is disease-free. You will be ok
 
In general, if a tank is appropriately sized, I think having mated pairs or other natural combinations is much better than a fish all alone in a tank.

Obviously, that can be hard with some fish where sexing is difficult or who will fight endlessly with the same species in a reef tank setting .
 
If you put one in an acclimation box for a couple of days, and your tank is disease-free. You will be ok

Thanks! Got one now in the breeding box. Female hasn’t tried to attack or anything all day.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 46
Thanks! How long would you put him in the box for?
I let them out when the female stops looking like she wants to kill him lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new