Should I get chaeto

joshgimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm have a 24 gal tank running. Everything is goog pretty well. I only have 2 clowns in and a few zoas. It seem like all my parameters are doing fine no nitrate or nitrite. Calcium is at 440. Ph usually hovers at 7.9 to 8.1. Alk is at 10ppm. I have had a nice little algae spread happen. A couple of fellow reefers said it was green coraline and eventually it will turn purple. Now I'm getting some red algae string up again and it spread pretty quick. I was able to get it to slow down once I started using my skimmer but it's still persistent. It's been sitting on the back and rocks for around a month now. There is a spot in the back of my tank where the previous owner had put chaeto and I even have a light for it. I also do a 5 gal weekly water change. So should I use the compartment with chaeto, and will that help in the future with algae or just be more patient and wait it out.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the red algae? It may be a bacteria if it looks slimy .Adding chaeto to the separate compartment will benefit your tank.It will consume nitrates and compete with the undesired algae.

OP
OP
J

joshgimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only picture I have at the moment. I can get a better one when the lights come on today. The rock on the left and the splitter have the most of the algae l.
uploadfromtaptalk1412166241765.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the chaeto. However, depending on the space and how much you can add, the positive impacts of the chaeto will be limited. Also, how big is your CUC? You may want to add some more.

OP
OP
J

joshgimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 margerita snails 5 blue leg hermits and a scarlet hermit crab. There isn't a lot of space but enough that I fit my skimmer into the empty chamber

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would up the CUC with more snails.

OP
OP
J

joshgimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had 3 snails die over the last month as well, I'm pretty sure the crabs wanted new shells so I grabbed some for them. What other snails would you recommend?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back