Should I increase nopox dosgae?

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 40g system. No3 around 12, using Nyos kit. Po4 usually around .12, using Hanna ULR. I began dosing nopox on 12-6 at .5 ml / daily. Increased to 1ml on 12-14. Increased to 3ml on 12-27. Increased to 4.5ml on 01-06. Increased to 5ml on 01-13, which is where I remain. I'm doing roughly 20% wc every 2 weeks, so I believe it has had some effect in not letting N rise much. I use about 4 Tbsp of gfo mixed with carbon, and change every 2 weeks so that's what is keeping my P stable. I guess my question is should I continue to increase nopox dosage until I see a decline in N or should I stay where I am and continue to monitor? I would like to get N around 5 and lower to a maintenance dose BEFORE I go on a 2 week trip in about 3 weeks. I will have my neighbor sitting the tank but I'm starting to worry this may become an issue if I still haven't reached that benchmark and it happens while I'm out of town. (I feel like more than 5 mls on a 40g system seems high as I've read every single thread i could find about nopox dosing!)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not quite understanding your problem. Your numbers are fine. 12ppm nitrate is good and .12 phosphate is not bad at all. in fact it is the exact ratio you want 10 to 1. If you keep mixing and adding chemicals youre gonna bottom something out and then have tank problems.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm totally fine with my phosphate levels and I agree 12 for nitrate isn't bad. Using the Nyos kit is hard to discern between 12 and 25, which i believe 25 isn't so great. I would imagine if the nopox is working as it should I would continue to see a decline of N, however it remains between 12-25. I'm not saying it isn't working, I just feel like I should get that extra "bump" down to 5ish ppm. Idk maybe I'm crazy. So is it possible that, dosing 5ml per day, I've reached an equilibrium and this will continue to be my maintenance dose? Also I do not use filter socks and am a heavy feeder, but only have 4 fish in my 40g system.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might let it go longer before boosting it further. there's no rush at 12 ppm nitrate.
I know you're a busy man, so I really appreciate your input! I guess my main concern is should I be worried about bottoming out while I'm out of town for 2 weeks, if my dosage has remained constant for the few weeks prior to leaving?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally fine with my phosphate levels and I agree 12 for nitrate isn't bad. Using the Nyos kit is hard to discern between 12 and 25, which i believe 25 isn't so great. I would imagine if the nopox is working as it should I would continue to see a decline of N, however it remains between 12-25. I'm not saying it isn't working, I just feel like I should get that extra "bump" down to 5ish ppm. Idk maybe I'm crazy. So is it possible that, dosing 5ml per day, I've reached an equilibrium and this will continue to be my maintenance dose? Also I do not use filter socks and am a heavy feeder, but only have 4 fish in my 40g system.
25 is not bad either. Base everything on your tank and how your corals and fish are reacting. If everything is thriving and algae under control then stay the course and make it easy for your tank sitter.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
25 is not bad either. Base everything on your tank and how your corals and fish are reacting. If everything is thriving and algae under control then stay the course and make it easy for your tank sitter.
Good advice. I would still prefer to get my nitrates below 10... not necessarily next week, but eventually. I'm also quite concerned that the "bottoming out" effect that is supposed to happen with nopox will happen when I'm out of town. Maybe I'll cut the dose in half before I leave.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're a busy man, so I really appreciate your input! I guess my main concern is should I be worried about bottoming out while I'm out of town for 2 weeks, if my dosage has remained constant for the few weeks prior to leaving?

It is likely OK, but anything can happen when you are gone. lol

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it at 5ml and have a good trip. I assume your skimmer is working well?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back