Should I not treat helfrichi fire fish with copper?

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just got two helfrichi fire fish and put them in my QT tank. I was planning on observing for a couple days making sure they're eating and then treating with some copper. The owner of this LFS (It's not my usual LFS, They couldn't get helfrichis) told me he wouldn't treat with copper since they're so small. They are about 2 inches in length. He said I should still QT for about a month but just observe and then treat with Prazipro and medicated food. Should I just do this? Or should I treat with copper?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are not super hardy and the helfrichis are quite expensive. I personally wouldn't put them through copper. I had two red firefish that were larger and died on me from stress. Glad they weren't helfrichis. My LFS sells them for about $140usd a pop.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks guys!! Yeah got them for $90 each so would rather not risk it I guess. Got them in QT now in my fish room. Not going to put light on the tank. I’ll let light from frag tank on other side of room be enough. Going to try to keep them as calm and comfortable as possible. Treat with medicated food and Prazipro in a week or so.
D133B222-E744-4FC3-98D4-4108A01ED5D2.jpeg

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had multiple Helfrichi firefish in the past and currently have a pair. They handle copper extreme well in my experience. They can be shy, but hardy fish. I have them in very busy tank with large angels and Fairy wrasses.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them just like any other fish regardless of what they cost you. Because if you don't treat them they could cost you much more killing off your DT inhabitants with Ick or Velvet. I can tell you that I know Purples and Reds can handle high copper without a problem. Just rise it slowly and when you are done bring it back down slow. I used Copper Power.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them just like any other fish regardless of what they cost you. Because if you don't treat them they could cost you much more killing off your DT inhabitants with Ick or Velvet. I can tell you that I know Purples and Reds can handle high copper without a problem. Just rise it slowly and when you are done bring it back down slow. I used Copper Power.
Okay great I did grab copper power from what I understand it’s different the the seachem cupamine. I’ve read that the way the copper is structured it’s safer for fish and you can bring the copper to 2.5 ppm. How long should I keep it there for though? And when I drop it back down do I just add cupisorb and do a water change?

Bricky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three Helfreichi's in QT right now with copper at 2.0. They eat well and aren't shy. I did start at 1.0 on the copper and raised it over a week. I'm using copper safe too.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three Helfreichi's in QT right now with copper at 2.0. They eat well and aren't shy. I did start at 1.0 on the copper and raised it over a week. I'm using copper safe too.
Okay that’s what I was going to do. Add it over a week so they don’t get it all at once

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of red firefish that are about to finish up their copper treatment. They were around an inch long when I got them. I think they will be ok as long as you get the eating before you add copper and make sure that ammonia doesn’t get out of hand.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 64 52.0%
  • NO

Votes: 41 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back