Should I reduce water changes?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't buy that water has to be the exact same temp, my water mixing station is outdoors (im in SoCal) and nighttime temps get in the high 40's, lower 50's and 55 g mixing barrel is usually around 65 - 68 when i do a 5-7% change on my 200Gallon. Water temps vary often in natural reef environments with currents, etc. My $0.02

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True for a large system getting little water change as you mention above. But if you do a 100% as I do sometimes, it is best to get temp within a degree. Same with smaller systems.
Granted, I rarely test this, but I am pretty sure my hand is a great thermometer. (Actually, tanks and extra water are in same room and have same heating element on them in winter.)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not completely confident on the cleaner shrimp’s death, but the anemone went from beautiful to melted mess in a matter of days, and only started to look ticked after the water change. The shrimp’s death could be coincidental that it happened around the same time, but I like to try to find correlations and causation. I just ordered a new salifert kit because I’m finally sick of API, so I can get an accurate reading of phosphates and nitrates once that arrives. There has always been an abundance of algae growth, specifically green film algae.

yah maybe check that phosphate level. I feel as if I have had similar with torches and low nutrients and WC would just strip it down further. Just a guess.
if your gut tells you it’s the WC, I’d skip a week for sure see what happens until test results come in.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first remove algae, which gets picked up by the filtration. Then I turn off the flow, and drain the water by about 15% (6 gallons). When the water is drained, I brush algae off of specific locations, such as corals, and change/clean filter media. Sometimes I stir the sandbed and pick up debris if the pistol shrimp didn’t do a great job that week. Then I fill a bucket with freshwater, adding reef crystals in accordance to volume. I mix thoroughly until I can clearly see the bottom. Finally, I slowly use a pitcher to raise the water level back to the appropriate amount, testing salinity along the way. I also use a turkey baster to blow any sand off of the corals/anemone.
There's your answer as far as I am concerned. Cleaning the sand bed unless you did it from the beginning releases all the bad stuff. I cut my water changes back after reading a post from someone else. Saw less impact on coral.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's your answer as far as I am concerned. Cleaning the sand bed unless you did it from the beginning releases all the bad stuff. I cut my water changes back after reading a post from someone else. Saw less impact on coral.

so I do think siphoning the sand bed is the main important part of water changing or maintenance,
But by “bad stuff” do you mean hydrogen sulfide gas?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I do think siphoning the sand bed is the main important part of water changing or maintenance,
But by “bad stuff” do you mean hydrogen sulfide gas?
Ok as an example. I had to move my tank to do the flor. I never cleaned the bed in over 10 years as I cant get at it because of all my mushrooms. When I moved it back on a new stand, the substrate got stirred up. The tank nearly crashed. Who knows what was in it ammonia I am told nitrites Nitrates, and probably phosphates which I just successfully battled because skimmer leaked a little into Aquarium. The water stank Like crazy if yours does would say phosphates might want to test for that after your water change. My sand also is full of snails ( tiny ) small starfish, worms etc. May be dead stuff in it which would again trap ammonia don't know

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great way to clean a tank without a water change that I have found very helpful is to blow off your rocks with a powerhead and syphon the sand bed down into my sump through a filter sock. No water change but picks up and cleans.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok as an example. I had to move my tank to do the flor. I never cleaned the bed in over 10 years as I cant get at it because of all my mushrooms. When I moved it back on a new stand, the substrate got stirred up. The tank nearly crashed. Who knows what was in it ammonia I am told nitrites Nitrates, and probably phosphates which I just successfully battled because skimmer leaked a little into Aquarium. The water stank Like crazy if yours does would say phosphates might want to test for that after your water change. My sand also is full of snails ( tiny ) small starfish, worms etc. May be dead stuff in it which would again trap ammonia don't know

A great way to clean a tank without a water change that I have found very helpful is to blow off your rocks with a powerhead and syphon the sand bed down into my sump through a filter sock. No water change but picks up and cleans.
An awesome easy way to keep that sand turning over without letting detritus build up is a tiger pistol shrimp. Mine is tirelessly digging and pushing sand around. He covers over half of my 75g and when he kicks stuff up the flow carries all the junk away to be filtered out. Even when I can't see him I know he's working because I'll see detritus rising from behind the rocks like a factory smoke stack.

lights53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first remove algae, which gets picked up by the filtration. Then I turn off the flow, and drain the water by about 15% (6 gallons). When the water is drained, I brush algae off of specific locations, such as corals, and change/clean filter media. Sometimes I stir the sandbed and pick up debris if the pistol shrimp didn’t do a great job that week. Then I fill a bucket with freshwater, adding reef crystals in accordance to volume. I mix thoroughly until I can clearly see the bottom. Finally, I slowly use a pitcher to raise the water level back to the appropriate amount, testing salinity along the way. I also use a turkey baster to blow any sand off of the corals/anemone.
i change about 4 gallons n a 47 gallon tank every 3 weeks or so, i stirred the sandbed last time and got levels of nitrates off the charts. must admit i had a lot of algae on sand that i scooped up in water change. then i took all live rocks out and rinsed in water and then covered with conditioner for water before i put back in, funny its been looking so good, and i used a microbe chemical from nature to reduce nitrates you put it in every 8 days. my fish seen very healthy and i stopped leaving the light on during the day when i was gone. I use to lose from fish from too big water changes i think. and my algae isint out of control now. i have2 clowns a rduy red one and a clarkie, hes the bully and with the lights lowered he is less aggresive. and my cromis are fine as well as striped blenny and damsals, Royal gramma comes out more now due to timing of light when i feed, ON it goes!...Fun with fishes! they all seem less aggressive now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back