Water change tips and tricks

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmmm...as a Floridian, who's Growing Palm Trees.....you are correct, except for coconut palms ....they absolutely love saltwater, even better used saltwater from your tank with all the nutrients in it. I always dump my used 5 gallons at a time directly on to my coconut palm and it loves it!

My coconut palm has grown twice as fast as the person I got mine from , who was the Original grower, his and mine are not even close any more.

Some plants at least in Florida actually love and need Saltwater!
or in the North East just dump it on the driveway to get rid of ice in the winter. Better than the rock salt that gets dumped all over the place. Just need to figure out what to do with all the cats that start showing up.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make 1 of these:
1' PVC - the short side should be made so the siphon breaks @ the strainer @ your desired water level in the tank for your specific water change. Just hang on the tank, run hose from the bib to a sink, tub or toilet & clamp it after starting a siphon. That's IT! you can do other things without worry. Do NOT glue the fitting for the strainer so you can move it up or down slightly for the final height you need.

Attachments

• P1110101.JPG
    P1110101.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make 1 of these:
1' PVC - the short side should be made so the siphon breaks @ the strainer @ your desired water level in the tank for your specific water change. Just hang on the tank, run hose from the bib to a sink, tub or toilet & clamp it after starting a siphon. That's IT! you can do other things without worry. Do NOT glue the fitting for the strainer so you can move it up or down slightly for the final height you need.

Cool design! I will have to play around with that on my tank.

OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious about where the 5 gallon mark on a standard bucket is so I used a gallon jug today. Here was the result for those who didn't already know.

Basically just below the last ridge.

Attachments

• 20240322_180816.jpg
    20240322_180816.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240322_180753.jpg
    20240322_180753.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 17

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water full strength like this isn’t good for any plant you have near there. Bad for the environment. I would put it into the drain instead.
Not me bud! I have septic and dump into the field, same spot every time.

Grass still grows.i
I concur. I used to dump dirty tank water in my rock beds to "kill weeds", I'm pretty sure it made them grow faster. Now I just let it run down the driveway, hasn't hurt the grass there either. I'm sure any nice plant you actually care about won't like it though, kinda like corals

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was fortunate enough to have a 7 gallon bucket with markings already on it for up to 6 gallons. I used it for making beer back in the day, not sure if they're still around

Edit:
It was something like this, but without the spigot attachment.
30613.png

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious about where the 5 gallon mark on a standard bucket is so I used a gallon jug today. Here was the result for those who didn't already know.

Basically just below the last ridge.
Good to know! I guess I've been doing 5 gallon water changes and not 4. Lol!

OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have this? If it saves me $75 over the sicce I might grab it if it's a goodun.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323_163858_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_163858_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 15

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have this? If it saves me $75 over the sicce I might grab it if it's a goodun.
I have a similar type of utility pump. I'll take a picture later after finished with yard work.

If only using for water changes. I don't see a reason to spend sicce prices unless you just want to or have specific brand loyalty. You can always have a backup for the price also

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water full strength like this isn’t good for any plant you have near there. Bad for the environment. I would put it into the drain instead.
Useful for weed control.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the sicce pump now and have had others throughout the years but I really like the sicce utility pump, I never rinse it so it's constantly sitting with dried saltwater on the pump. I think the pump works really well for no maintenance or cleaning I just leave it in the bucket with the python hose attached.

there's always a difference besides just price with saltwater equipment but YMMV

I've found with this hobby (harsh salty environment) you can go DIY and off brand equipment but the maintenance and replacement intervals go up a little with more cleaning and maintenance that replacement time gets longer but again YMMV

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back