Water changes

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you suggest more? I usually see 40% monthly suggested. Do you think that’s not enough?

Different sources have different ideas about what is best.

When I first started out, I was told to do 20% weekly water changes, and that I should be faithful to them.

The tank was a 20 gallon long, so weekly 20% water changes was enough to replenish elements being consumed by the tank. There was no need to dose.

The tank did great this way for about 2 years, but then the coral grew considerably and water changes alone were not enough to sustain elements.

Maybe you could just go with 10% to start and then increase the frequency if you see its necessary?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different sources have different ideas about what is best.

When I first started out, I was told to do 20% weekly water changes, and that I should be faithful to them.

The tank was a 20 gallon long, so weekly 20% water changes was enough to replenish elements being consumed by the tank. There was no need to dose.

The tank did great this way for about 2 years, but then the coral grew considerably and water changes alone were not enough to sustain elements.

Maybe you could just go with 10% to start and then increase the frequency if you see its necessary?
My plan was to do an automated 1 gallon per day(2%) on my 50 gallon. Not 100% sure what that would equate to per month, I could figure it out, but it seemed like plenty. I was curious at why you suggested the 20% per week, as I would not be close to that percent. Thanks.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan was to do an automated 1 gallon per day(2%) on my 50 gallon. Not 100% sure what that would equate to per month, I could figure it out, but it seemed like plenty. I was curious at why you suggested the 20% per week, as I would not be close to that percent. Thanks.

I think that works out to a 60% water change monthly, based on a 30 day month. That seems like plenty to me too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back