What are some of the top tips and tricks for maintaining a tank

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Pick one brand of salt and stick with it, when you need to dose only dose to match the parameters of the salt - don't alter the salt to the parameters.
  • Test regularly and with the same procedure/protocols each time to minimize variance in test results
  • Resist the urge to change things like water parameters, light settings (schedule/intensity)
I have stuck with the same salt. The last batch created a white film in my RO storage container. I thought it was salt residue but it isn't. I have no idea what it is but am concerned. Therefore I would say no guarantees

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be polite, be professional, but have a plan to... whoops, uh.. ok heres advice that should be obvious but doesnt seem to be: in this hobby for every one sentence of good advice there are 5 books and a movie worth of bad advice.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Trident with DoS and setup automatic dosing.

Oh man, you have no idea how much of a convience it is to have Apex control how much to dose, and always give you current Alk Ca and Mg levels, and tell your DoS to either put more or less to reach target value.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural seawater if at all possible and keep a log of testing, lighting tweaks, media changes and cleaning including water changes. Also, take pics to track coloration and growth with dates you added livestock and their trade names.

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Patience and avoid panicking. Often instant “fixes” can make whatever the problem is worse.

Also, spend the money on quality. I can’t tell how much money I’ve wasted going cheap on equipment (or even livestock) only to replace it.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one EVER says this .... but. ... here we go....! You set up your tank and are ready to fill... oh, the excitement! Electricity in the air. wait!!! Look at that wall behind your tank. Is that the color you want...? FOREVER!!!! THINK B4 U FILL. HAHHAHHAHA

AND YES, when appropriate, set the lights and leave them alone. Blow those light vents out with a can of air once a month! And..... ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY.

I feel like you are singling me out with my bright green screen green walls. I didn’t think about it until now. Nothing a few sheets of coroplast can’t change. Now I regret my paint choice. Hahah.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back