Why maintaining a reef tank is considered difficult (Long Post)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey reefing family, in my effort to spread awareness, I’ve started this series of my experiences on common topics reefers run into while maintaining a reef tank. My perspective in this post will be based on a reef tank, take only what is applicable to your aquarium if at all.

Lastly this post is based on my years of experience (Just over 20), like everything else…. This is just this reefer’s opinion. Illustrations of my tank (300 Gallon SPS) added as well. This was a transfer from my 150 gallon to the 300. I moved sand, rocks, livestock including coral over to the 300 gallon tank below.
  1. Buy the best equipment you can afford or buy used high-end equipment -
Reef aquariums are expensive, I understand why folks are looking for a deal. However, if there is a recommended brand of equipment, save for it! Time is always a good thing in a reef tank anyway. Wait and buy the more expensive equipment.
We know everything can and does fail, however you are more likely to get max life out of a product that uses higher end components vs. premature failures from cheaper or cheaply built equipment and added bonus, customer service is usually accessible and probably decent too, with well known brands

r/ReefTank - The day my Custom planet aquarium made its way to my local Aquarium shop!
The day my Custom planet aquarium made its way to my local Aquarium shop!

r/ReefTank - I started dry plumbing a day after it arrived in the shop!
I started dry plumbing a day after it arrived in the shop!

r/ReefTank - I got noticed too!!
I got noticed too!!

2. Start adding bio-diversity sooner rather than later – When we talk about tank maturity, we are talking about having a robust community of biodiversity in our tanks. As soon as your aquarium has cycled…. Buy and add pods and feed them Phyto. They will help fend off other problems you will inadvertently introduce to your aquarium later. As a bonus, it will help you get into the routine of testing your aquarium water. A MUST for a reef keeper, water tests are needed to maintain a thriving aquarium environment

r/ReefTank - Moving day
Moving day
r/ReefTank - Why maintaining a reef tank is considered difficult (Long Post)

r/ReefTank -   Lights being measured for the canopy
Lights being measured for the canopy

r/ReefTank - Tank installed.... let the fun begin
Tank installed.... let the fun begin

r/ReefTank - lights installed... more to come later
lights installed... more to come later

r/ReefTank - Water Added
Water Added

r/ReefTank - Tank setup Complete
Tank setup Complete
3. Create a maintenance friendly environment – Often times when we buy equipment or plumb our tanks…. We never do so with the thought of having to take it apart or down for maintenance. This is bad, if something is difficult to remove or maintain… then it doesn’t get the service it needs. Also if possible, leave space and room for future needs. You might not know it yet, but you may need another piece of equipment... it should integrate easily into your system

r/ReefTank - Looks much different than the prior photo... i added equipment later and had the thought for the future...made it much easier
Looks much different than the prior photo... i added equipment later and had the thought for the future...made it much easier
4. You must have proper research and problem solving skills – If you are unable to problem solve and/or research, save yourself the time and trouble….. don’t get a reef tank. You will always have to figure out, battle, resolve, or create solutions for issues any given day or daily.
5. We introduce problems to our aquariums – I always chuckle when I hear aquarist say “Don’t bottom out your nutrients otherwise you will get dino.” Not true, what is true is a low nutrient environment may allow dino’s to thrive because competitors cannot live in that environment. Fun fact, our tanks are sterile. We add everything to them or things hitchhike on something we added to the tank. This goes back to point number 2, our sterile tanks are perfect for opportunistic organisms to take over, having the good guys occupy the tank doesn’t allow the bad ones to take over. While mixing saltwater... i've never heard of anyone having dino's in mixing buckets, trash cans, or vats....even after sitting for months. Ie: another reason why mature tanks tend not to see the same issues as newer ones...even with imperfect water parameters.

r/ReefTank - Dreaded cyano..it was bad guys
Dreaded cyano..it was bad guys

r/ReefTank - light off, just to see how bad the issue was
light off, just to see how bad the issue was
6. Fixing problems naturally (If possible*) – I try not to ever use chemicals in my tank, one: I don’t know what the long-term effect is, also natural solutions always find balance and generally solves the problem rather than band-aid them. I say, if possible*, because we are all human… and trust me…. It’s painful looking at a ugly tank for long

r/ReefTank - After dealing with cyano for months, i decided to treat my tank with chemiclean. It killed the cyano, my gift was dino's (brown strings)
After dealing with cyano for months, i decided to treat my tank with chemiclean. It killed the cyano, my gift was dino's (brown strings)
7. Document findings – Good reefers are intune with their aquariums, they can usually look at their tank and spot an issue before it becomes major. Numbers should not and cannot dictate how well your animals are… let them tell you. Use recommended parameters as guidelines only.
I hear so many reefers say for best coral color, nitrates should be no more than 5ppm and phosphate .03ppm. Great recommendations, but that's just it... its a recommendation. My tank has the best colors when my nitrates are 15 ppm and my phosphate are between, .08 -.15.
For many that's too high, but my corals tell me when they are happy.... If my tank is looking amazing, Ill test to see what the parameters are and try to keep them there.

8. Last point- this is a two parter:
  1. Have patience - fun fact your tank won't look amazing in the 1st year. Don't compare your time frame to other reefers. Remember you are learning what works for your tank, it's different from everyone else's. I think it takes at least 2 years (give or take) for a reef tank to really hit its stride
  2. Enjoy the hobby - we all have our moments where we want to give up. Stay the course! Rome wasn't built in a day. You are literally attempting to keep one of the most sensitive, diverse ecosystems in a glass box!!! It's not for everyone, but know what you are getting yourself into. Its a heck of a ride that few of us have the benefit of enjoying..... Happy reefing peeps
1710351725605.png

My journey continues!

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People just make it more difficult than it has to be. They want to add junk when the tank does not need it. As your post explains its a journey, not a buy and toss when done hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back