TSA Laffy Taffy Micro Goniopora difficult?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
789
Reaction score
437
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this particular coral on QCC and really like it. On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult are they? I have hammers, torch, mushrooms, RFA, birdsnest, montipora, sun coral, leathers. I've always enjoyed watching gonis at the LFS but I've heard that they are rental corals, meaning they die withing a few months. I'd like to start a coral tank with maybe 2-4 fish and have racks of coral to maybe frag and trade down the road and I thought I'd investigate goniporas for a potential candidate for the farm.
 
I *think* @Rocks reef has some experience with these corals.

Historically, they were known to be finicky, so I've never tried one, but my understanding is that they've become much easier to keep more recently.

I think @BryanM keeps them too, maybe?

Good luck!
 
I asked a Facebook group about these corals and they say they're finicky to keep and don't last long in aquariums. I'm glad I learned that before I decided to buy them. I think I'm going to pass on them.
 
I believe they are Bernardpora or “short stem goni” because they don’t extend like Goni and Alveopora do. They stay short and compact. If they extend, it’s a sweeper polyp. There is one towards the end of this video (comes in view at 5 seconds, orange ball on top orange shelf) it always was like that until I moved a hammer close
 
I’m two years in on one. Slow grower, was doing great but then I FAFO’d a flow change and nuked half of it, so I’d call it sensitive as well…very good looking.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new