Should I remove sand bed to deal with algae?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling algae outbreak for a while now and one of my friends says it’s a very smart idea to remove my San shed cause at this point I’ve tried everything.he believe that sense my parameters are reading 0phosphate and 0nitrate that the algae is actual long like a filter for the excess migraines (I believe this to be the case too) so would removing the sand bed allow for all the nitrations that get trapped there to no longer angry trapped and there for fix my algae bloom?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No !!! Your nitrates and phosphates are being eaten by the algae at this point . By letting those two parameters hit zero is opening yourself up to cyano and Dino’s . You need to cut your lights and possibly do a three day black out ,don’t do a water change for at least a week or two if you can . add a good CUC, Mexican turbos , and possibly a few tuxedo urchins , add microbactor 7 daily , Run a UV sterilizer if you have one , cut back your feeding and manuall pull out as much algae as you can . .after three days I would slowly bring your lights on lowering your whites and over all level and time period . Still keep adding the bacteria daily . Dose nitrates and or phosphates enough to keep them from zeroing out . Test your parameters often through out this whole period . It took a while to get to this point it will take some time to correct it . You should see improvement after 3-5 days but it may take a few weeks to totally pull out of this and rid yourself of nuisance algae . Stability and patience is the key oh and add airation if you don’t have a skimmer , and if you have a skimmer , take the top cup off and let it overflow so as to not spill out of your sump . It’s 11:00 pm I’m tired but I saw your thread thought you need a response tonight incase no one else chimed in . Hope this helps

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not, personally, algae can be beaten without such drastic measures.
What kind of algae? Pic would help a lot, some parameters if u got, also age of tank, feeding habit, and if you dose anything.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling algae outbreak for a while now and one of my friends says it’s a very smart idea to remove my San shed cause at this point I’ve tried everything.he believe that sense my parameters are reading 0phosphate and 0nitrate that the algae is actual long like a filter for the excess migraines (I believe this to be the case too) so would removing the sand bed allow for all the nitrations that get trapped there to no longer angry trapped and there for fix my algae bloom?
No

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 118 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back