Sand bed algae?

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some algae of some description keep coming up on my sand and the sand looks like it keeps clumping? I have taken a few picks at different stages of the day so you can see in different lights.

If I clean the sand bed this will come back in 3 days something like that. The glass also gets a kind of dusty look to it and this is usually daily.

I have attached a photo of all my parameters and my magnesium is low but I don’t want to bring it up too quickly just in case it causes an issue. I am using the Red Sea magnesium and adding approx 50ml a day which increases it by 30ppm approx but the very next day I test and its approx 900 again.

Sorry for the long message I am just unsure if it is all related.

IMG_1136.jpeg IMG_1134.jpeg IMG_1144.jpeg IMG_1145.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1154.png

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some algae of some description keep coming up on my sand and the sand looks like it keeps clumping? I have taken a few picks at different stages of the day so you can see in different lights.

If I clean the sand bed this will come back in 3 days something like that. The glass also gets a kind of dusty look to it and this is usually daily.

I have attached a photo of all my parameters and my magnesium is low but I don’t want to bring it up too quickly just in case it causes an issue. I am using the Red Sea magnesium and adding approx 50ml a day which increases it by 30ppm approx but the very next day I test and its approx 900 again.

Sorry for the long message I am just unsure if it is all related.

IMG_1136.jpeg IMG_1134.jpeg IMG_1144.jpeg IMG_1145.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1154.png
Sounds like you don't have working CUC.

Strombus snails are your friend for keeping sand clean.

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you don't have working CUC.

Strombus snails are your friend for keeping sand clean.
What sort of size CUC do you recon I need? I was told not to put anything in as the Goby would likely starve if I had other critters in the sand? but to be honest he doesn’t do a huge amount and eats the frozen I put in to feed the rest of the tank

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME your sand sifting Gobbi will take care of it as it grows, and your sand will be spotless white.
2024-02-15 11.06.10.jpg

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME your sand sifting Gobbi will take care of it as it grows, and your sand will be spotless white.
2024-02-15 11.06.10.jpg
That looks awesome! So do you think not to bother putting any snails or a sand star in and just keep vacuuming it for the min?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just adding to All of the above, thes also can keep things stirred up…
Tiger cucumbers
Most conchs
narcissus and babylon snails (I’ve never had a issue but …)

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! So do you think not to bother putting any snails or a sand star in and just keep vacuuming it for the min?
In my country CUCs are not allowed, and some of the guys in the pic I showed will make the CUC RIP. I have a lot of snails that came with the corals, but nothing compares to the work of the sand-siftin' dude; he is a machine!! He does shift sand quite a lot, so corals on the sand will suffer and may be buried alive occasionally. I have a few Zoas that get buried all the time. I tell them to be strong...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back