Should I rent a PAR meter for first tank setup

Hi all,

I am setting up my first reef tank.

I am thinking I could "rent" a PAR meter from BRS, or see if anyone local to me has one I could borrow. I could get readings at the bottom of the tank at various points of the tank, as well as at 4", 8", and 12" up from the bottom, and at a few setting of brightness on the Kessil. I do CAD for a living so I can make a few drawings with these values so I have idea of what I am working with at the various locations of the tank, at various depths, and have some idea how adjusting the brightness of the Kessil will affect things.

I am certain, of course, that I don't need to do this, and I probably can find decent settings that will work by a little trial and error and probably only irritate a few corals, so long as I pay attention to their tells. This is my first tank, though, and I was thinking that, if I have PAR values, it might give me a good idea of starting settings on the lighting, and have a good idea of where corals will likely do well. I also could report much more useful information on lighting here on the forum when I am asking questions.

How valuable do those of you who have PAR readings find them?

Any grumpy salty old dogs who want to badmouth all the kids nowadays with their darn-fangled whiz bang dohickeys that should just spend their time and money on salt and water changes? I am equally interested in reasonings why it would or wouldn't be a good use of my time and money.

Thank you,
-pg
100% support renting a PAR meter, i did the same and it provided me with a basic layout for my tank. Will probably revisit in the future once corals have grown out etc...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 18.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new