Should i Start Dosing Alk and Calcium

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just got my first 4 frags. 2 favias 1 monti cap (i think thats what it is) and a duncan. 75g tank w 20g sump

my question is do i need to start dosing right away? Or will 4 small frags not need it for a while and the levels will be ok with water changes?

i do have Brs two part ready to go and im thinking about ordering a hanna alk checker because ive read that is the most important thing to monitor. Using API right now hard to get accurate reading

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just got my first 4 frags. 2 favias 1 monti cap (i think thats what it is) and a duncan. 75g tank w 20g sump

my question is do i need to start dosing right away? Or will 4 small frags not need it for a while and the levels will be ok with water changes?

i do have Brs two part ready to go and im thinking about ordering a hanna alk checker because ive read that is the most important thing to monitor. Using API right now hard to get accurate reading
Since you don't know current alk/cal usage or whether regular water change will sufficiently replace all/cal consumption, you should do nothing until you use good test kits to monitor/understand levels of consumption. I suspect that four small drags will have marginal impact, at least at first. Chasing numbers is often difficult and expensive, especially when you don't have to. Good luck

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can almost guarantee you do not need to dose at the moment.

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am becoming curious of this as well - I have a handfull of duncans and a fathead dendro. I am doing my water changes every 10-14 days (about 20%)
I am planning on getting some frogspawn/hammer/torch type coral here pretty soon.

I use RedSea coral pro reef salt mix that has Alk and Cal nutrients in it. I use that salt with the thought that maybe water changes will be enough for some time.

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way easier to over shoot when there is not enough demand than to get levels too low. Don't make my mistake and dose before you need to.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order better test kits like stated above most likely water changes will do the job if you have to dose I would suggest kalkwasser.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone very helpful replies. Looks like im gonna order some more accurate test kits and just use the water changes for a while until the demand is needed

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question with this now. Since im relying on the water changes for now and im only using instant ocean salt

Would it be benficial to switch to a different salt that has my target parameters, more calcium alk etc? Reef crystals or another?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure alkalinity with a kit. If and when it drops below where you want it, dose.

Don't be afraid to dose. But don't dose unless a test indicates the need.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question with this now. Since im relying on the water changes for now and im only using instant ocean salt

Would it be benficial to switch to a different salt that has my target parameters, more calcium alk etc? Reef crystals or another?

It is likely fine. What are your target levels?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely fine. What are your target levels?

i couldnt tell you to be honest. Api kit reading 7 dkh a few times today one time it was 8. I did it 3 or 4 times. Again not sure how accurate ive heard things. But 7 Seems low?

Tank will mostly be LPS for now. Any recommendations on levels to shoot for?

Adam Schindler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very disappointed with API results. I switched to salifert for most. I do use Hanna for alk now. Api seemed to consistently be all over the place.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very disappointed with API results. I switched to salifert for most. I do use Hanna for alk now. Api seemed to consistently be all over the place.
Yeah that’s definitely what im seeing. I do think im going to get the hanna for alk just seems so much easier and accurate

Adam Schindler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have a Hanna cal, alk, and ulr phosphate. The calcium can be kinda iffy at times. I stick with salifert for cal normally. But the Alk checker is awesome!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7d
i couldnt tell you to be honest. Api kit reading 7 dkh a few times today one time it was 8. I did it 3 or 4 times. Again not sure how accurate ive heard things. But 7 Seems low?

Tank will mostly be LPS for now. Any recommendations on levels to shoot for?

7-8 dKH is fine.

Back