Should I start dosing?

mr.b306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently jumped into the world of a SPS (about 2 months now) and was trying to determine at what point waters changes are not enough and the level of fluctuation is too high for sps.
Currently the sps consist of 2 branching montipora digis, 3 encrusting montis, 1 acro tenuis, 1 acro tortus, 2 acro not 100% on certain on species and 1 acro milli. They are all frag and just starting to grow. I also have lps in the tank that are doing extremely well 3 acan colonies, hammer colony, torch colony, Duncan colony, war coral, pipe organ, chalice, then soft some soft coral (mushrooms ,zoa’s, leathers) also few gorgonians and a rock flower nem. That said everything looks to be doing well and growing and I’m having no issues with the tank in anyway.
I’ve been doing daily testing over the last couple of weeks and and drop somewhere between 0.5-1 Dkh over the course of the week. Water changes bring the level back up easily to 8.2 dkh that my new salt batches test at. My question is does that drop in dkh over a week warrant starting to does with having sps in the tank. I have attached a pic of the tank. And feed back would be great!

C7AA2527-9614-484C-B188-F39C992FEDDE.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently jumped into the world of a SPS (about 2 months now) and was trying to determine at what point waters changes are not enough and the level of fluctuation is too high for sps.
Currently the sps consist of 2 branching montipora digis, 3 encrusting montis, 1 acro tenuis, 1 acro tortus, 2 acro not 100% on certain on species and 1 acro milli. They are all frag and just starting to grow. I also have lps in the tank that are doing extremely well 3 acan colonies, hammer colony, torch colony, Duncan colony, war coral, pipe organ, chalice, then soft some soft coral (mushrooms ,zoa’s, leathers) also few gorgonians and a rock flower nem. That said everything looks to be doing well and growing and I’m having no issues with the tank in anyway.
I’ve been doing daily testing over the last couple of weeks and and drop somewhere between 0.5-1 Dkh over the course of the week. Water changes bring the level back up easily to 8.2 dkh that my new salt batches test at. My question is does that drop in dkh over a week warrant starting to does with having sps in the tank. I have attached a pic of the tank. And feed back would be great!

C7AA2527-9614-484C-B188-F39C992FEDDE.jpeg

Hello. Yes, I'd recommend continue to monitor parameters closely, but you seem to be entering dosing range. Stability is the magic. Tiny bits may be all you need to dose, but if you can do that to reduce that up to 1 swing then good for you.

Somewhere between 0.5-1 Dkh over the course of the week is just starting to be dosing range to keep stable water.

We started with manual dosing, then that got old and we went with a Jebao 4 doser (though still only need to use 1 channel... but in time... so it gives us growth room for dosing more than alk)

When your water change is bringing that back up, that is coming up the MOST it should move in a day, which is why I'd suggest making incremental dosing part of your routine.

CONGRATS on your coral growth - it wouldn't be dropping if they weren't growing!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back