Should I try to dig to find missing Yasha Goby

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

5 days ago i did a moderately sized water change, siphoning the sand bed a lot to get rid of some cyano. In doing this water change, I think I may have made my yasha goby/candy pistol shrimp pairs burrow too small. When i put food in the tank, i see the pistol shrimp struggling to exit, but he gets out. I have no seen the yasha goby since. Should i try to dig them out or will they burrow their way out on their own?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd be shocked where their burrows go. Unless you have unique sand I'm not sure what the issue would be. My pistol is a bulldozer.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you set a rock that's too heavy right on him they'll be fine. Some of our wrasses can get clear under the base rocks somehow. Looking from under the tank when they start to move out they manage just fine, so will the goby.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you set a rock that's too heavy right on him they'll be fine. Some of our wrasses can get clear under the base rocks somehow. Looking from under the tank when they start to move out they manage just fine, so will the goby.
Agreed. Also note, never put your hand in the tank.

OP
OP
D

dach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp is acting normal doing his digging thing, but the goby hasn’t come out at all. He’s normally the first one out and out at feeding time. Here’s a video of the pistol shrimp acting as if nothing is wrong excuse cyano

is it possible he killed the yasha goby? I hear him snapping his claw at night.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pistol should not have any trouble getting out. I'm always moving sand back to the other side of the tank he pulled it from and I'm always burying their entrances. The minute he sees his home has been disturbed he digs himself out and proceeds to pull back all the sand from the end of the tank I just moved it to. As one of the other members said... They're bulldozers. My paired goby pops his head out every few days (daytime) although I usually see him out and about after lights out. My pair disappeared completely for about three days after I got them. They were my first inhabitants and this is my first tank so I was worried they died (even though all posts I read said they disappear all the time). The stress and worry finally became too much so I lifted the rock (it's a 5g so small rocks) and there they were, perfectly fine. Having said that they weren't fine with me lifting their rock. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back