Should I turn my UV on?

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my UV off about a month ago. Reason is some talk recently about how UV kills a certain type of beneficial bacteria. This is mentioned by the owner of Aquabiomics (I think that's the name of the company).
At about the same time I started dosing ammonia and I am getting a bit of algae that I "think" the uv will cut down on.
I don't think it is known how much the rates going through the UV will kill bacteria. It is known that a fast rate is not enough to kill protozoas? but I've always ran it at a fairly fast rate with intention of just clearing the water and to keep algae in check.

What is your opinion?

thanks,
Albert

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my UV off about a month ago. Reason is some talk recently about how UV kills a certain type of beneficial bacteria. This is mentioned by the owner of Aquabiomics (I think that's the name of the company).
At about the same time I started dosing ammonia and I am getting a bit of algae that I "think" the uv will cut down on.
I don't think it is known how much the rates going through the UV will kill bacteria. It is known that a fast rate is not enough to kill protozoas? but I've always ran it at a fairly fast rate with intention of just clearing the water and to keep algae in check.

What is your opinion?

thanks,
Albert
Are you asking for opinions or facts?

Because the facts are available in many peer reviewed science publications.

Turn it on if you want to prevent algae, it won't directly significantly alter any bacterial balance in the water column in your tank.

As a side effect it may have some influence on bacterial simply because it removes a nutrient consumer.

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sure, facts are better then opinions.
Here is the article that I was referring to.
Weather the bacteria that apparently UV kills (Pelagibacteraceae) is important to our tank I think it's not known.

I use mine at a slower rate just a few hours a night to cut down on parasites that irritate my tangs.
Do you find that it works for you?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of the beneficial bacteria live on the sand and rocks. Running your UV 24/7 will not affect the bacteria levels and most people leave their UV’s on all the time. Depending on what you want the UV to do, it can’t do its job if it’s not on. Turn it on with the proper flow and you will be fine.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back