Should I use live rock with green algae?

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank came with about 30 pounds of live rock, which is amazing but I noticed that has quite a bit of green algae on it. Should this be something I should be concerned about or should I just treat the algae once it’s already in the tank? I haven’t set up yet, but I’m planning to set up today.

If I do set it up with the green algae, live rock, what do you suggest to get rid of the algae?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush scrub it all off out of the tank with tank saltwater. Then place back in also get a good cuc for control of algae turbo snails hermit crabs. How old is this tank

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can hit it with the pressure washer quickly. Then place it directly back in saltwater. I would give it a quick wash then place it in a container of saltwater. Use a heater and powerhead in the holding container. Leave it in the container for a few days then add it to the tank.

OP
OP
R

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush scrub it all off out of the tank with tank saltwater. Then place back in also get a good cuc for control of algae turbo snails hermit crabs. How old is this tank
It’s 5 days old, the live rock with the algae came with the tank.

OP
OP
R

reef15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set it up a few days ago. It came with the live rock that had the algae. Looks like green hair algae I think.
The guy that I got the tank from had it 3 months and the guy before him that he got it from had it a year.

Maxcito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said scrubbing it clean and adding a clean up crew will be the best, that way you don’t need to cycle it. Try and upload a good picture because if it’s bryopsis probably better to pressure wash and peroxide wash them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back