Show me your Sponge!

Extract1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see everyones sea sponges they keep. I recently seen some amazing marine blue sponges and it made me wonder how many people actually enjoy them in their tank! Post a pic if you have one and would like to share :)

Any place to actually purchase them?

Last edited:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this myself. Tried some before but my dwarf angel has a serious taste for them

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'd love to see everyones sea sponges they keep. I recently seen some amazing marine blue sponges and it made me wonder how many people actually enjoy them in their tank!

Any place to actually purchase them?
Support your local fish stores

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ornamental and cryptic sponges in numerous systems.

Get ornamental sponges, macro algae and snails from GulfCoast Ecosystem:

Red Finger Sponge (Ptilocaulis sp.)
spongeorangetree.bmp
An attractive red colored sponge that grows vertically. This species is highly variable in branching. We typically collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as the drying out of any tissue will often kill the sponge. Single specimens are approx 5-8" tal

Red Ball Sponge (Psuedaxinella lunaecharta)
galleryredball.jpg
This species of encrusting red colored sponge features smooth, irregular shaped forms that are attached to rocks and hard bottom. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as the drying out of any tissue will often kill the sponge. We offer single specimens ranging in size from 2-4" in diameter.
Use the drop down menu below to add multiple items to the same bag to save on shipping costs.

Elephant Ear Sponge (Agelas clathrodes)
spongeelephant.bmp
This species of orange colored sponge features smooth, ruffled lobes resembling ears. They are very compact and each has a different and unique shape. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as the drying out of any tissue will often kill the sponge. We offer single specimens ranging in size from 2-4" in diameter.
Use the drop down menu below to add multiple items to the same bag to save on shipping costs.

Yellow Ball Sponge (Cinachyra alloclada)
orangeballgallery.bmp
The yellow balls sponge features a crater like surface with irregular shaped holes. This particular sponge is fairly hardy in the aquarium. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as it can block the feeding passage and will often kill the sponge. We offer single specimens ranging in size from 3-4" in diameter.

Purple Photosynthetic Sponge
purplespongegallery.jpg
This species of encrusting sponge has an attractive purple color with a slight iridescent sheen. It's photosynthetic and very hardy in the aquarium once established. It grows in interesting shapes and can be safely handled out of the water for short durations. It can be glued to almost any surface and will soon attach and grow. The sponge does have a few predators including many species of urchins. This particular species is from the Pacific and is grown in our facility. We ship a small frag (about 1") sized specimen.

I can recommend all but their photosynthetic purple sponge.

This is my youngest at 2 years and smallest at 30G mixed garden “sponge tank”.

image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back