What was the most sentimental thing in your reef tank?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I know that people who have had reef tanks for a while can have very sentimental pieces in their tank, whether it's a fish, coral, anemone, invertebrate, or any living thing. I would love to hear about them! Please show pictures if you can!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photo, but it's a 3" mantis shrimp I collected in the Florida Keys last Spring. It was only 2" long when I collected it.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a now 7 year old blue base pink tentacle Magnifica. I acquired it from a fellow hobbyist, who had it for 4 years and then entrusted it to me when he decided to move it out due to size.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a now 7 year old blue base pink tentacle Magnifica. I acquired it from a fellow hobbyist, who had it for 4 years and then entrusted it to me when he decided to move it out due to size.
That's very cool!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to collect shells when we vacationed to the outer banks. One day I decided to take one from our collection and add it to the tank. Withing an hour my giant hermit crab took up residence. Kinda sentimental since the shell was a vacation memory. Here's a video of him moving in. Sorry it's so long the good part is close to the middle

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to collect shells when we vacationed to the outer banks. One day I decided to take one from our collection and add it to the tank. Withing an hour my giant hermit crab took up residence. Kinda sentimental since the shell was a vacation memory. Here's a video of him moving in. Sorry it's so long the good part is close to the middle

That's very cool!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!
Yeah, they are extremely difficult to catch. You pick up a rock and you see a small sand plume as the mantis shrimp moves at very high speed from under the rock you lifted, to the next closest rock.

I got lucky and one attached itself to the underside of the rock I lifted. Then, it let go and was slowly drifting/swimming back toward the sandy bottom. I put my collection cup under it and it floated right in!

I only see it when I feed, just like the serpent stars. They may come out at night, but I don't look at it much in the dark.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a very good video that you got of it! That's one huge hermit crab!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they are extremely difficult to catch. You pick up a rock and you see a small sand plume as the mantis shrimp moves at very high speed from under the rock you lifted, to the next closest rock.

I got lucky and one attached itself to the underside of the rock I lifted. Then, it let go and was slowly drifting/swimming back toward the sandy bottom. I put my collection cup under it and it floated right in!

I only see it when I feed, just like the serpent stars. They may come out at night, but I don't look at it much in the dark.
That's even cooler! Didn't know you actually caught it!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say my little tyree pink lemonade frag.. it’s a frag from a colony I had many many years ago! I took a 10yr break and got a small frag from the same colony I had back then when I just came back.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say my little tyree pink lemonade frag.. it’s a frag from a colony I had many many years ago! I took a 10yr break and got a small frag from the same colony I had back then when I just came back.
That's so cool that it's a frag of what you had 10 years ago!!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neat how you were able to repurpose those shells for your tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back