Show Off Your Caulastrea, Candy Canes and Trumpets!

blazedmasta

The Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kryptonite candy cane
20180316_192921.jpg

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing guys and gals!!

May I ask what you all are doing to get these major growth developments?

How far up in the tank?
Lighting?
Feeding?
Flow?
Super clean tank or a lil dirty?

Thanks in advance! I love my green ones, but other than feeders coming out at night and plumping up slightly since I moved mine up towards the light a little, I am not getting any growth.

I want some fattys!!!

I'd like to know this as well, I'll start but haven't got any growth yet in about 2 months

About 5 inches from the water, under current Marine Orbits. I'd say medium light

Feeding every other day, I do different mixtures, sometimes mysis with Roids mixed in, sometimes Roids paste, sometimes plain Mysis. I feed at night when feeders are out.

Flow medium

Trying to keep it a lil dirty for my LPS/softies.

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two shots of mine, taken about 7 months apart (The bigger one being the later shot, just in case people think I somehow shrunk it.)

The smaller shot is right after I bought it. I acclimated it to my lights at the bottom of my tank and moved it up a little higher onto the rocks about two months later.

I feed it about once a week directly with mysis shrimp, and it looks like it also feeds a little with my weekly tank wide reef roids feeding. I will have to take another picture soon as more heads are in the process of splitting and i am overjoyed to have it seem happy after the sorry state I bought it in.

20180328_070124_1523367229584.jpg

20170827_104914_1523367300674.jpg

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. my LFS has some beautiful frags of large polyed green and blue candy canes I was hoping to pick up. I was wondering, what is a normal price for these per head?

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is remarkable @FunWithFishes !!

Your look super happy and plump!
Mine are sad, not even picture worthy yet after 4 months. I recently moved him up in better flow and lighting. I have also upped my general feeding, so fingers crossed!

As for price, I paid about $50 for a 3 or 4 headed weak looking frag lol @timrocks311

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is remarkable @FunWithFishes !!

Your look super happy and plump!
Mine are sad, not even picture worthy yet after 4 months. I recently moved him up in better flow and lighting. I have also upped my general feeding, so fingers crossed!

As for price, I paid about $50 for a 3 or 4 headed weak looking frag lol @timrocks311

One thing to keep in mind is flow. When I first put mine into my tank, it was close to a powerhead, and never extended much. When I moved it up, it got a lot less flow, and seems to enjoy it. Looking into it, it seems they don't like a lot of flow. Just enough to keep debris off them. So if yours still doesn't improve in its new spot, try a lower flow zone.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. my LFS has some beautiful frags of large polyed green and blue candy canes I was hoping to pick up. I was wondering, what is a normal price for these per head?

Between $10-15 per head here in my area- red, blue and green.

I wish I could grow mine like the one's posted here- good job everybody!

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe it or not the heads on these are easy bigger than a quarter.it may not look like it but that colony is almost
DSCF5402.JPG
as big as a football.it's under a 250 hqi and loves it. it grows so fast that I cut it in half every six months or so.then carry it down to my lfs and trade it in. it pays for my salt for the year.i have a 200 and a 54 gal. tank so I use a lot of salt.it's one of my better money makers.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
believe it or not the heads on these are easy bigger than a quarter.it may not look like it but that colony is almost
DSCF5402.JPG
as big as a football.it's under a 250 hqi and loves it. it grows so fast that I cut it in half every six months or so.then carry it down to my lfs and trade it in. it pays for my salt for the year.i have a 200 and a 54 gal. tank so I use a lot of salt.it's one of my better money makers.

That is huge. And a large one right behind it too. Love seeing different types together. Thanks for sharing!

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF5402.JPG

Do you feed? Flow? Light levels? That's massive, and if it grows that much in half a year.... geez. I need to find a coral that will do that.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to feed it but I don’t see them feeding tentacles! Tank lights is out at 8:30p and all our lights are all off before 11p.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed? Flow? Light levels? That's massive, and if it grows that much in half a year.... geez. I need to find a coral that will do that.
nope I don't feed it.that tank only has a sump.no skimmer no gfo nothing but water and 20 fish so the nutrient level is very high.the flow is low in that part of the tank so those feeder tenticles stick out and grab stuff.the lights come on at 530 pm and go off at 330 am.i want to enjoy my tank as much as possible so I don't want my lights on when i'm not home.the light is an older aquamedic with a 250w/20k hqi with 2x24w t5"s.that light grows corals like corn.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope I don't feed it.that tank only has a sump.no skimmer no gfo nothing but water and 20 fish so the nutrient level is very high.the flow is low in that part of the tank so those feeder tenticles stick out and grab stuff.the lights come on at 530 pm and go off at 330 am.i want to enjoy my tank as much as possible so I don't want my lights on when i'm not home.the light is an older aquamedic with a 250w/20k hqi with 2x24w t5"s.that light grows corals like corn.

So I'd say the moral of the story is keep it in high light, with a dirty tank, low flow.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back