Shred5's 93 gallon rimless cube tank build.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well things are still going slow.. I was going to finish the plumbing up last weekend but went up north instead... This is turning into a fall project..

What I have got done since last update is I mounted a handle on the stand, I also mounted the shelf for the dosing pump and mounted a light in the stand.

I have decided the rock I am going to use is Reel reef rock Gen 4...

I also have been beta testing the Maxspect Gyre ... So this has been taking up some time...

I figure that I will have water in the tank in a few weeks.. I am starting the plumbing this weekend..

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did you get to beta test the gyre

Been in the Hobby a very long time so I have met allot of people in the hobby and also lots of experience and knowledge being in the hobby for so long..
I have beta tested other reef products too...

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I got some stuff done finally..
I got all the return plumbing in..
This weekend I should have supply plumbing done..
Things are going on fast track now.. I need to get this done asap..

I have made a few changes..

For a return pump I have changed DC pumps... I am looking for a little more reliability on a dc pump and reef octopus has made a few changes to the standard Dc pump to help with reliability.
Really excited about this...

rodc-3500wp_label_1.jpg

I have also switch to Giesmann for t-5 lamps on this build from ATI.. The new lamps look really promising...

giesemannt5aquabluecoral.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have also decided to switch to the Maxspect Gyre since I have been beta testing it...
I was going to add a mp40 with battery back up from my current tank but that will be scrapped.
gyregenerator-side-view_1.jpg

The X-aqau x-inout have wave functionality in them already so I am curious to see how they work together.... Should be interesting...
These look real nice installed on the tank,, So nice not having a giant overflow inside the tank...

x-inout1-470x420.jpg

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build. Following along. :)

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I dont know what I am going to do..
My tank has seam issues like a few other of the marineland 93 gallons...
My problem is it was drilled by the store and they told me it voids the warranty.. I wish they would have tested it before drilling it...

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I am waiting too the new year to decide what to do...
No warranty because it was drilled..
There are several other threads where some other people have the same issue with the marineland 93 so it is not a random issue.
My choices are to buy another tank and hope it is fine.
Scrap the whole project or just move most of the stuff I bought for this tank and redo the 75 gallon..
Just a huge waste of money anyway you look at it.
I am leaning toward just moving some of the stuff onto my 75 and redoing the 75. That means just throwing out the tank and stand, loosing all the money on plumbing..
Selling everything that is new as used like the x-aquas, the ATI l and taking a hit..

Partly my fault though, I should have drilled my tank myself instead of the store, this way I could have water tested it myself first and it would have been under warranty. I asked if they could water test it first because they told my drilling voided the warranty and they said no they couldn't. I dont blame them, they are good people and a great shop.. Just a little depressing to waste so much money.

Stinks the quality of the mass produced tank is so bad nowadays. Not only bubbles in the seams the glass was not lined up straight at the seams....

Last edited:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks, dude. I hate to hear things like this.

I have had planned on buying an undrilled 93 for about the past 6 months now and drilling it for a gl*******s overflow. You have me concerned. I have everything else but the tank already purchased and waiting. The stand is being made at this moment and will be done in about 2-3 weeks; sometime around xmas.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if I should look for a different manufacturer for a cube.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sucks, dude. I hate to hear things like this.

I have had planned on buying an undrilled 93 for about the past 6 months now and drilling it for a gl*******s overflow. You have me concerned. I have everything else but the tank already purchased and waiting. The stand is being made at this moment and will be done in about 2-3 weeks; sometime around xmas.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if I should look for a different manufacturer for a cube.

Yea I hear you.. There are two other 93 gallon build threads on Reef2reef alone that I know of with the same issues... I think one has got a new tank already and the other is getting a new one. May want to see the quality of them but how do you know if the one you are buying is new or old..

I was concerned about mine as soon as I got it home seeing the seams not straight.

Problem is there are not many options out there unless you want to ship or get custom...

If you drill yourself it should not be too much of a issue because you can fill it first and just return it... I should have, I have drilled several tank before..

Last edited:

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you figure out how to deal with it soon. Good luck.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hear you.. There are two other 93 gallon build threads on Reef2reef alone that I know of with the same issues... I think one has got a new tank already and the other is getting a new one. May want to see the quality of them but how do you know if the one you are buying is new or old..

I was concerned about mine as soon as I got it home seeing the seams not straight.

Problem is there are not many options out there unless you want to ship or get custom...

If you drill yourself it should not be too much of a issue because you can fill it first and just return it... I should have, I have drilled several tank before..

I didn't even think about that. I'm not a morning person **Yaaaaaaaaaawn**

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's december now. what is your plan with this 93g build?
I am one of the members that own a 93g marineland tank and has issues with sillicon. Marineland approved my tank exchange request and asked me to bring the tank to the store.
Not sure why these 93g cube have sillicon problems but choice are very limited out there for this same size tank.
keep us posted on this build.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The build is switching to my 75 gallon reef, I will be redoing it instead.. I got rid of the 93 gallon tank, there was no way I was risking it.
Some of the stuff wont be going on that tank though like the x-aquas because the tank is drilled with over flow..

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer man. At least you still have a tank, but bummer it's not the 93 :(

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to sell the ati t5 light? or you going to use that on the 75g as well?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back