Shrimp making brown mucus tunnels, ID.

mojo8427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had these guys pretty much take over my display and frag systems. They create these intricate tunnel systems on everything; rock, glass, zoas. The tunnel pictured is small, maybe an inch but they can span the entire glass pane when interconnected.

Any thoughts as to what this guy is and a way to eradicate them? I can turkey blast them off rocks and coral but it takes a lot of force and have ripped the flesh off more fragile coral. Once blasted off, they can be picked off by fish but that is a temporary solution as they keep breeding and making more tunnels.

Thoughts?

IMG_0182.jpeg IMG_0183.jpeg IMG_0184.jpeg

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a tube building amphipod?
Here in Florida we have Jassa species.

Maybe Monocorophium insidiosum?

OP
OP
M

mojo8427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article and you make them sound desirable lol. They have become my sworn enemy. Although the one I have seems more a rock dwelling species whereas yours is happy in the sand.

OP
OP
M

mojo8427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a biota mandarin taking them out? Are they able to hunt something in this hardened mucus tube? I was attempting to build up my pop population prior to purchase but these tube shrimp seem to be their natural predator. So the more pods, the more of these guys it seems, win/lose...

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I don't think a mandarin can do so.

Here in the wild, young mangrove snappers will rip them off oyster shells and docks. They spit out the tube and chew it multiple times.

I'm used to seeing the tubes bunched together like townhouses. I don't think they venture far from the tube and are more of a wait and grab opportunistic feeder.

Conj02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I have in my tank, except mine have a black stripe through their backs.
They do the same cocoon building behaviors as well and I can usually see hundreds of them in the sand.

Attachments

• 220401193542.mp4
    4.3 MB

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back