Shrimp Scare & Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schreiber
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
475
Reaction score
594
Location
Knoxville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday I got a Watchman/Pistol shrimp pair. Coolest things ever. Watched the shrimp build tunnels all day. Today, I turned on my lights to find him half sticking out of the tunnel, motionless. I thought that was really weird, since it was darting back & forth yesterday. So, I poked it with my net & found out it was dead... Or so I thought.

Turns out, it had molted & I was seeing its old shell. I figured that out because my cleaner shrimp had *also* molted, its shell was a few inches away from the actual shrimp. So, I assume my pistol is just chilling in its tunnel for now.

My question is, is this just a weird coincidence, or could something in my water parameters have caused this? I just thought it was odd both shrimps molted at the same time, especially since I've had the cleaner for a couple of weeks & it hasn't done that until last night.
 
Coincidental.
 
I think iodine is what helps shrimp molt. Mine usually do it after water changes.
 
It molted less then 24 hours of having it?

Yep, I got it last night & the shell was there the morning.

Calcium levels?

I haven't checked recently, but last time, it was ~350 ppm. A little low, but this is a pretty new tank & I'm trying to raise it slowly.

I think iodine is what helps shrimp molt. Mine usually do it after water changes.

I did a water change that night, so that may be it.
 
Molting also occurs after a full moon. So, perhaps the moon's phase had something to do with both your shrimp molting at the same time.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new