Shrimps in the reef Tank- What do you have?

What is function of your shrimp?

• Purely ornamental (color)

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Scavenging

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Aptasia control

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Bond with fish

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • other (please describe)

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other. I do not have a reef, but I do have a macro algae tank and a FOWLR. Currently in my macroalgae tank I have a coral banded shrimp, both for look and because they are supposed to eat bristle worms. Never saw her eat the worms, but it seems that I have less worms.
I used to have an harlequin shrimp also for look and utility. I returned it to the LFS when my asterina supplies dwindled down.
In my large tank, I had peppermint shrimps for a few years, but none now. I will probably get some soon as I do think they are fun. I got a cleaner shrimp once, but it only lived about 2 month. It was starting to come out more when it disappeared. I do not know if someone ate it.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harlequin. I was worried it would be an expensive snack, because it was about 1/2 inch when I got it, and it totally disappeared in my tank. about 2 months later as I was cleaning the glass, there she was in all her glory, about 3 inches bigger!! she's beautiful, and has 3 caves that she stays in. growing like a weed, and I still have way too many starfish! love this thing though

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back