Shut that Skimmer Down! Over skimming your tank.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see some tanks? Prove points with proof not science! In all reality 90% or reef keeper care very little about science facts and names, it's results over periods of time

plenty of skimmerless tanks that would put most to shame. search the forum. i saw a whole thread devoted to it.

i dont think that is what this thread is about

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plenty of skimmerless tanks that would put most to shame. search the forum. i saw a whole thread devoted to it.

i dont think that is what this thread is about
But I want to see the people's on this thread[emoji4]

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where did your linked article say that was chemistry. In fact it said this. "Despite the fact that magnetism can be explained only by the quantum theory developed at the beginning of the twentieth century, qualitative predictions of magnetic properties can be made within the context of classical physics" Physics not chemistry!

A chemical reaction can be written with a formula. You still haven't written one for foam fractionation. :)

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where did your linked article say that was chemistry. In fact it said this. "Despite the fact that magnetism can be explained only by the quantum theory developed at the beginning of the twentieth century, qualitative predictions of magnetic properties can be made within the context of classical physics" Physics not chemistry!

A chemical reaction can be written with a formula. You still haven't written one for foam fractionation. :)

no one has one either.

flawed concept

do you have one where water droplets coalesce?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"no one has either"? What does that sentence mean? The comparison between magnets and what goes on in a skimmer are very relevant.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"no one has either"? What does that sentence mean? The comparison between magnets and what goes on in a skimmer are very relevant.

because that falls under slip and fluidity depending on the medium.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry is a very broad term. And I would agree that like this example of magnetism, foam fractionation is a type of chemical process.
But it is NOT a chemical reaction!
A chemical reaction is a process that leads to the transformation of one set of chemical substances to another.
Magnetism does not chemically change the material. And foam fractionation does not chemically change any of the compounds or other material in the foamate.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean surface tension? No do you?

no that is not what i meant.

i was trying to avoid this black hole from the beginning.

just skim wet. w/e.
randy knows all.

really doesnt apply to me.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry is a very broad term. And I would agree that like this example of magnetism, foam fractionation is a type of chemical process.
But it is NOT a chemical reaction!
A chemical reaction is a process that leads to the transformation of one set of chemical substances to another.
Magnetism does not chemically change the material. And foam fractionation does not chemically change any of the compounds or other material in the foamate.

exactly. i think you put it in better words. maybe i just suck at articulating what i mean. w/e. gonna let it go.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shaking my head.
You guys are talking about stuff that is WAY over the heads of the average reef keeper.
If a new member were to come into this deranged thread that person would be lost to a point of maybe never coming back.
This I do not support by any means what so ever.
Remember people we are a COMMUNITY that welcomes and supports.
It saddens me.
I will do my best to make sure this is put to rest.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staff members,
I am requesting closure as this thread is not only off topic but beyond a point that 98% of most users will never understand.
I do not want to see mass confusion within our community of R2R.
If there is confusion within the members of R2R it can either be taken privately or within a new thread specific to a question.
This has become ridiculous
Formal request,

Todd

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see some tanks? Prove points with proof not science! In all reality 90% or reef keeper care very little about science facts and names, it's results over periods of time
2-yr-comparison-400g.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys that I wasn't on the first row during this debate, it was beneficial to me after I all read it a triple times.
Now I have to let it sink in and tomorrow I might have a question or 2....... 3...............5.............maybe 10.
Many will ask............ to skim or not to skim?? Or better yet.............. wet or not to wet?

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
It may not be a good idea to burn whole year's energy, in the first week of the year ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back