Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think is the better pump, Exclude warranty and gizmos like temp readings and wi-fi.

Lets just focus on the DC side of things

I just like to hear from everyone what would be the better return pump at 17" head pressure.

Also explain why you chose what you voted on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain your comment about easier to maintain. And yes Wi-Fi and warranty is a plus but we're factoring that out of the equation ;)
The Sicce is easier to disassemble and clean, and it's less maintenance overall. Plus extra impellers are easy to find for it. The warranty and WiFi make it a no-brainer, IMHO.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce is easier to disassemble and clean, and it's less maintenance overall. Plus extra impellers are easy to find for it. The warranty and WiFi make it a no-brainer, IMHO.
Actually the IM is just as easy to disassemble for clearing. A 1/4 twist and you have full access to the impeller.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the IM is just as easy to disassemble for clearing. A 1/4 twist and you have full access to the impeller.
I've had several MightyJets and own several Sicce SDCs; the Sicce is a superior design in every respect. Add-in easy access to spare parts, temperature probe, WiFi (also IOTA through Neptune) and a 5-year warranty and it's a no brainer.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several MightyJets and own several Sicce SDCs; the Sicce is a superior design in every respect. Add-in easy access to spare parts, temperature probe, WiFi (also IOTA through Neptune) and a 5-year warranty and it's a no brainer.
Just curious, I am in a same boat as in looking at DC pumps and one of them is the Sicce. I used the IM and they are quiet. I used Sicce AC pumps and they are quite but hum and that drives me nuts.

I read that the Sicce DC pump is actually AC with controller “similar to a Red Dragon 3 pumps”.

So from your experience does Sicce AC hum?
Also what models of the Sicce AC do you use?

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh totally agree having the ability to be notified of potential issues is a no brainer. The problem I have is why do Sicce SDC claim 800gph and there is no way in this world it can even come close to that using the 8 blade impeller design? I bought the SDC 3.0 for more flow and in fact the flow rate is sad.. real sad! I have both the IM mighty jet and it flows like it should with lower power. Double checked o-rings and The SDC 3.0 couldn't even touch the IM pump. My problem is Sicce for unknown reasons decided to not use the same impeller as the larger units do. I had both in the tub and it was a night and day difference in flow rates. The SDC was a straight flow where the IM mid size was more of a wider flow and alot harder flow.

I wanted to see what ppl thought of what they'd expect from a pump in the same size class. The only reason I bought the SDC was to have more flow but sadly the flow was half of the IM jet pump. Not to sound like I'm judging pumps side by side but come on Sicce get things together. At least if it had the same impeller design as the bigger brothers then I could expect close to rated flow.

If they changed the impeller then sure it would be the best of best having Wi-Fi and temperature sensor with a great app. $300 plus one would expect alot more then a simple IM mid size pump correct?

gregdepot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 17" the SDC 3.0 is likely a nice pump, at 4.5ft or so its pretty slow around 110-150 GPH so not where near 800GPH with head pressure so I use it to run a Pentair 25W UV and as a "Third" return. My Sicce AC 2.0 and 3.0 flow much more water at this head pressure and are my primary returns.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh totally agree having the ability to be notified of potential issues is a no brainer. The problem I have is why do Sicce SDC claim 800gph and there is no way in this world it can even come close to that using the 8 blade impeller design? I bought the SDC 3.0 for more flow and in fact the flow rate is sad.. real sad! I have both the IM mighty jet and it flows like it should with lower power. Double checked o-rings and The SDC 3.0 couldn't even touch the IM pump. My problem is Sicce for unknown reasons decided to not use the same impeller as the larger units do. I had both in the tub and it was a night and day difference in flow rates. The SDC was a straight flow where the IM mid size was more of a wider flow and alot harder flow.

I wanted to see what ppl thought of what they'd expect from a pump in the same size class. The only reason I bought the SDC was to have more flow but sadly the flow was half of the IM jet pump. Not to sound like I'm judging pumps side by side but come on Sicce get things together. At least if it had the same impeller design as the bigger brothers then I could expect close to rated flow.

If they changed the impeller then sure it would be the best of best having Wi-Fi and temperature sensor with a great app. $300 plus one would expect alot more then a simple IM mid size pump correct?
At an approximate head height of 4-5 feet you should get around 265Gph @100%.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At an approximate head height of 4-5 feet you should get around 265Gph @100%.
This is what I was getting at, See the picture on Amazon where I bought the SDC 3.0 showed having the same impeller as the IM pump. I really thought they changed it from so YT videos showing the SDC break down part by part but looks like the only draw back for the SDC is the impeller and why it lacks any type of head pressure.

The same style in the SDC 3.0 with really thin blades.

Replacement-Impeller-Submersible-Pump.jpg

This is the same style as the Mightyjet mid size.

CurrenteFluxDCFlowPump3170ReplacementImpeller__80810.jpg

The reason I bought the SDC 3.0 was one, the wattage is more then the IM MJ pump and fits in the AIO chamber.
And 2 I love the idea of WiFi and real-time temperature monitoring. More watts should give more flow would you agree?

It just saddens me I waited a week for the SDC, and couldn't wait to install it. It was a let down, and I'm not dramatizing how poorly the flow was. IMHO the SDC 3.0 would be better suited for a DC application to dial in a UV Sterilizer more then a return pump.

I just wanted people to be aware the Yes these SDC pumps are the cats meow for features, but as for flow, Not even close to being accurate. I did reach out to Sicce team and haven't received a reply back. I being so flustered just printed a return label off and it's been sent back.

With these pumps being so popular they are a no brainer as you say and 100% agree with you. But They really need to get things together and use a proper impeller to get some head pressure and also good water movement.

gregdepot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was getting at, See the picture on Amazon where I bought the SDC 3.0 showed having the same impeller as the IM pump. I really thought they changed it from so YT videos showing the SDC break down part by part but looks like the only draw back for the SDC is the impeller and why it lacks any type of head pressure.

The same style in the SDC 3.0 with really thin blades.

Replacement-Impeller-Submersible-Pump.jpg

This is the same style as the Mightyjet mid size.

CurrenteFluxDCFlowPump3170ReplacementImpeller__80810.jpg

The reason I bought the SDC 3.0 was one, the wattage is more then the IM MJ pump and fits in the AIO chamber.
And 2 I love the idea of WiFi and real-time temperature monitoring. More watts should give more flow would you agree?

It just saddens me I waited a week for the SDC, and couldn't wait to install it. It was a let down, and I'm not dramatizing how poorly the flow was. IMHO the SDC 3.0 would be better suited for a DC application to dial in a UV Sterilizer more then a return pump.

I just wanted people to be aware the Yes these SDC pumps are the cats meow for features, but as for flow, Not even close to being accurate. I did reach out to Sicce team and haven't received a reply back. I being so flustered just printed a return label off and it's been sent back.

With these pumps being so popular they are a no brainer as you say and 100% agree with you. But They really need to get things together and use a proper impeller to get some head pressure and also good water movement.
With further restrictions on the UV return mine gets 110-130GPH which is great for the 25w Pentair UV but not what I had bought it for with the 800PGH advertised my AC 2.0 is much faster let alone the 3.0.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back