Sick copperband butterfly

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm new here and I have kept a saltwater aquarium prior to my new one 5 years ago but it was terribly unsuccessful due to algae, fish diseases and lack luster filtration this time around five years later I took a more patient approach with a better design. I have recently fought off a mouth bacterial infection on my 3" flame angel fish which I treated with amoxicillin hes now made a complete recovery. I fought off brook on my 2" female clownfish during qt successfully but now I'm having issues with my 4" copperband butterfly that I can't seem to id. 2 months ago while at the lfs I seen 4 copperbands I fell in love with them I immediately left to research the fish and found out its expert only watched scare tactic videos to discourage the purchase during the next visit to the lfs I explained my concerns with the owner who's a great guy he immediately grabbed a bottle of mysis and said he had one that was a eating machine sure enough I bought it. I ended his qt time early at 17 days in he was doing great reason I ended it was a faulty heater at 11pm "I just wanted to sleep" l decided to acclimate him to dt everything was great during qt freshwater dip no flukes, he has perfect fins, no spots, no flashing, good breathing with a strong appetite. 3 weeks after in the dt he developed what I assume was a ulcer below his eye nere his jaw 2 days later it opened into a sore which brought the swelling down and completely healed in about two weeks which is great but now he has these scratches on his side with no redness or color to it the bigger scratch is on his left side and he has a few smaller ones on his right. Anyway last night I seen him scratch on a rock three times in a row i immediately prepared a freshwater dip caught him and revealed nothing no flukes. Next day which is today he seems to be acting normal and during all his problems hes never lost his appetite. I'm just looking for advice on what this is maybe it's not scratches perhaps it could be something else?

Tank mates: 2x osc clownfish, royal gramma, firefish, flame hawkfish, lm blenny, yellow watchman, coral beauty, flame back angelfish, flame angel.

Aggression
Lm blenny gets annoyed by flame hawkfish chasing it away. Copperband is terrified of blenny but trust everyone else havnt seen anything besides that. Flame angel chases other angels but not in a highly aggressive manner. Flame angel rubs against and dances with flamehawk. This is all I witnessed so far. No frayed or torn fins on anyone.

Water
Ammonia 0-10 ppm (hard to read)
Nitrites 0-25 ppm (hard to read)
Nitrites 5.0-10 ppm
Ph stopped testing since it was always the same

Since the return of the flame angel from bacterial infection l increased feeding to help him heal. Also increased feedings for Butterfly in a attempt to help him fight whatever he's dealing with so Ammonia and Nitrites are above zero from extra foods. Been dosing prime to help.

Aquarium is 2.5 months seeded from 20 gallon that ran 2 months while I was building this one. Thanks ahead for any advice!

OP
OP
CrossXchaos

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures

Attachments

• 20210927_201554.jpg
    20210927_201554.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210927_201551.jpg
    20210927_201551.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210927_201528.jpg
    20210927_201528.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210927_201435.jpg
    20210927_201435.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210927_201427.jpg
    20210927_201427.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 67

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

I have a soft spot for copperbands.

Keep water quality high, frequent water changes with extra feedings, feed Copperband fresh clam meat daily while awaiting the experts to chime in on treatment ideas.

Best wishes.

OP
OP
CrossXchaos

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update he scratched himself again I decided to pull him fw dip then into a 30 minute malachite green rid ick plus bath then from that I made a sterilized qt containing antibiotics fingers crossed hopefully someone can chime in

OP
OP
CrossXchaos

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't any red spots yet so I was hoping Im incorrect and waiting for someone to help verify his condition during his fw dip scales fell off the area that along with scratching rocks led me to believe uronema. Still uncertain

OP
OP
CrossXchaos

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done second dose of malachite green along with antibiotics after a water change hes still eating but his breathing has increased maybe stress from the transfer? Still hoping for someone to help advise this situation.

OP
OP
CrossXchaos

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: incase anyone comes across with a similar issue with a copperband the treatment above worked great and the fish is back to 100%

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back