Sick Hippo Tang

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**TRIGGER WARNING - PICTURES OF FISH NECROPSY BELOW***

My hippo tang which I've had for 5 years + recently stopped swimming laps around the tank. Today I was able to net him and put him in the hospital tank. He's fat but has strange lesions which look more like physical trauma than disease to me but ?? He has very high respiratory rate. There have been no additions for 6+ months and the last group of anthias was quarantined for several months. I have attached a picture that shows the lesions plus his color just seems off. I also recently lost two clownfish that were 10+ years old.

tang.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My hippo tang which I've had for 5 years + recently stopped swimming laps around the tank. Today I was able to net him and put him in the hospital tank. He's fat but has strange lesions which look more like physical trauma than disease to me but ?? He has very high respiratory rate. There have been no additions for 6+ months and the last group of anthias was quarantined for several months. I have attached a picture that shows the lesions plus his color just seems off. I also recently lost two clownfish that were 10+ years old.

tang.jpg
Hard to see much with fish out of water and under blue light intensity
Need pic or too under white lighting submersed in water. I see bottom of fish darker and possible scratching but noy 100% based on image

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tang.jpg

Anything else been added to the tank, any inverts recently?

Can you post a video so that I can check its respiration rate?

How long ago did you lose the clowns, and did they die at the same time?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added anything - no corals, inverts etc since the QTd anthias

Clowns died probably 8-4 weeks ago probably 3 weeks apart.

Ill go take a video now

The clown loss is probably not related to this issue, and they may not even have been related to each other, at least in terms of a communicable disease.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

of course he had to swim to the least convenient place to film.

Sorry - this fish is moribund, very close to death. I've only seen one or two fish in my career come back from this point. It is some sort of gill disease, but I can't tell you if it is protozoan, bacterial or flukes. When it dies, if it is fresh, you should give it a FW dip to see if any flukes drop off. You can also try taking a picture of the open gills, I might be able to see something that will point you in the right direction in case this is a contagious issue.

Jay

OP
OP
nezw0001

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - this fish is moribund, very close to death. I've only seen one or two fish in my career come back from this point. It is some sort of gill disease, but I can't tell you if it is protozoan, bacterial or flukes. When it dies, if it is fresh, you should give it a FW dip to see if any flukes drop off. You can also try taking a picture of the open gills, I might be able to see something that will point you in the right direction in case this is a contagious issue.

Jay
Will do. I appreciate the help. I am a veterinarian is there any advanced samples I can send off for confirmatory diagnostics?

OP
OP
nezw0001

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Dori went on to the great fish tank in the sky. I did the fresh water bath after death and really didn't find anything obvious except a loose conglomerate of white ish material -mucous sloughing? I did my first ever fish necropsy and it took me a while to get my head around the anatomy. I took some pictures to see if any of you experts see anything. It was really hard to take good pictures one handed.
2023-03-14 20.42.05.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-03-14 20.43.06.jpg
    2023-03-14 20.43.06.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 34

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is an interesting post. I find the pictures fascinating and you obviously know what you are doing and I appreciate the effort it took.

Having said all that, get ready for villagers with pitchforks since I am sure some will find this utterly macabre.

OP
OP
nezw0001

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is an interesting post. I find the pictures fascinating and you obviously know what you are doing and I appreciate the effort it took.

Having said all that, get ready for villagers with pitchforks since I am sure some will find this utterly macabre.
I probably should post a trigger warning. I don't know what I'm doing, I wish I could take a course to learn more. Maybe Jay wants a middle aged veterinarian intern for a week??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should post a trigger warning. I don't know what I'm doing, I wish I could take a course to learn more. Maybe Jay wants a middle aged veterinarian intern for a week??

The gills are a bit pale, but not too bad. That tends to rule out specific gill diseases, So - grossly, I would say this is hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). The huge amount of coelomic fat is an indication, as is the pale, mottled coloration to the liver. If you sent liver tissue out for histopath, that would confirm it. This issue produces systemic symptoms, one of which is rapid breathing. Skin color changes are also commonly seen.

How does this happen? I'm not always sure - people often cite overfeeding and/or improper diet, but I think there is more to it. I have seen a group of 7 year old hepatus tangs that due to their circumstances, have never been fed vegetable matter, except in pellets, plus frozen foods - and they are fine. A group of snappers (carnivores) in the same tank developed this syndrome....why?

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back