Sick looking blue tang

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just recently inherited some new fish from somebody who has shutdown thier tank. One of the blue tangs does not look healthy and has some sort of what looks like a skin disease. Ive had a bit of a read and found this can be common amongst these fish. From what i can gather it maybe a nutritional problem.

Ive started to feed oean nutrition omnivorous pellets, and flakes. I just got him yesterday so its good to see hes eating. Is there a proven method or feeding regime that will be best for him? Also will i be able to bring him back to looking healthy?

Thanks [emoji111]
f27ee3b6250e06bbdc95dd013c03c633.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak foods in Zoe (preciously zoecon). Selcon and vita chem wouldn’t hurt, either.

Flakes and pellets aren’t generally the most nutritious options. Mixed frozen foods are typically a better choice, but in moderation flakes are OK.

Nori is of keystone importance as well, it’s a huge staple of a tang’s diet and very much needed for optimal health and to recover from HLLE.

Rinse any carbon used very well (dust in carbon can cause this) and keep water very clean. These things will help the fish recover from HLLE. This is not a very fast journey, taking weeks to months.

OP
OP
Kristophf

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak foods in Zoe (preciously zoecon). Selcon and vita chem wouldn’t hurt, either.

Flakes and pellets aren’t generally the most nutritious options. Mixed frozen foods are typically a better choice, but in moderation flakes are OK.

Nori is of keystone importance as well, it’s a huge staple of a tang’s diet and very much needed for optimal health and to recover from HLLE.

Rinse any carbon used very well (dust in carbon can cause this) and keep water very clean. These things will help the fish recover from HLLE. This is not a very fast journey, taking weeks to months.
Thanks very helpful info! Will give these methods a shot. Its a new tank just setup, so ill be keeping a close eye on it and keeping the water clean. No carbon.

OP
OP
Kristophf

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin heaps better just after a week his colours comin back, white spots not as intense. Although it has been tricky and im having to train him to eat nori. At the moment he will only go for it if cut into tiny peices, wana work towards being able to put a large peice. My mata tang is also a super aggressive eater and dominates during feeding time. This also makes it hard to feed the comet betta. But i think im getting there also been feeding krill and the comet is becoming more confident.
162b541f2aeb306fcd6ed61baa7c81ff.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back