Sick mandarin dragonet/goby

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b4d38c071af71e34a82682816dc49ff8.jpg
So I've had him for about a month now... he's been doing good but now he is started to lose his color and look brown also he has some kind up mucus coming off his skin in strings??

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one about a year ago. he went first to quarantine where I saw the mucus on his body. I did not see any parasites but because I had some I treated the tank with "ICK ATTACK" by Kordon. they are picky eaters so I added some selcon and garlic extract to the pods I was feeding. he did heal up and is doing fine in the display tank now. hope this helps

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating? The photo isn't good enough, but looks like his belly is deflated, indicating he hasn't been eating.
First thing is to get him to eat, preferably fatty acids like Selcon, mentioned above. Start with live brine shrimp until he starts biting frozen mysis.

For how long is it happening? I had multiple healthy dragonets to change colors temporarily, usually to a faded coloration. It stays like this for a couple of hours and get back to its original color.

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one about a year ago. he went first to quarantine where I saw the mucus on his body. I did not see any parasites but because I had some I treated the tank with "ICK ATTACK" by Kordon. they are picky eaters so I added some selcon and garlic extract to the pods I was feeding. he did heal up and is doing fine in the display tank now. hope this helps
Thank you I will treat the tank again for ick and parasites also get the garlic to help with my pods thank you!!

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating? The photo isn't good enough, but looks like his belly is deflated, indicating he hasn't been eating.
First thing is to get him to eat, preferably fatty acids like Selcon, mentioned above. Start with live brine shrimp until he starts biting frozen mysis.

For how long is it happening? I had multiple healthy dragonets to change colors temporarily, usually to a faded coloration. It stays like this for a couple of hours and get back to its original color.
When I first got him I got two (they were in separate tanks) the first one started having the mucus like this one and then with in two days he had so much mucus that it was coating his eyes and they were white? Which is why I am very concerned for this one. He was very skinny when I got him and it took him a few days before he would even look for food now he does go around the rocks and "peck" around but as far as knowing if he's actually getting food when he does that honestly I'm not 100% sure.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, mandarin gobies are very sensitive to medications. That being said, mine will be treated for ich before ever going in my display tanks. I have WAY too many expensive and fragile fish to risk bringing in parasites. Especially after treating them all and going through the time and effort to prevent it thus far.

I would guess that a mandarin could handle 10 days of cupramine (slowly increased to .5 ppm) and then two or three transfers of the ttm method.

That's minimal copper exposure and should take care of velvet, ich, and several others. On transfer one and three I would treat with prazi. That adds flukes, black ich, and intestinal parasites.

Humblefish won't endorse this method yet, but it was his creation and it's genius. 10 days of copper, and one transfer is his suggestion. Which should work fine. I would do more than one transfer because I imagine many are using crappy tests for copper, aren't monitoring it correctly, and there are a lot of margins for error with copper use. Hypo even more so, and it does nothing for velvet.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try to get the fish to eat frozen food and pellets.

Putting it in a sterile quarantine , with medication, won't do him any good if he is starving. IMO, it will only accelerate his death.
Also, dragonets are very hardy when it comes to ich, they are usually the last ones to show white spots, because they have the ability to release the mucus to get rid of parasites. The photo also doesn't show any white spots.

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, mandarin gobies are very sensitive to medications. That being said, mine will be treated for ich before ever going in my display tanks. I have WAY too many expensive and fragile fish to risk bringing in parasites. Especially after treating them all and going through the time and effort to prevent it thus far.

I would guess that a mandarin could handle 10 days of cupramine (slowly increased to .5 ppm) and then two or three transfers of the ttm method.

That's minimal copper exposure and should take care of velvet, ich, and several others. On transfer one and three I would treat with prazi. That adds flukes, black ich, and intestinal parasites.

Humblefish won't endorse this method yet, but it was his creation and it's genius. 10 days of copper, and one transfer is his suggestion. Which should work fine. I would do more than one transfer because I imagine many are using crappy tests for copper, aren't monitoring it correctly, and there are a lot of margins for error with copper use. Hypo even more so, and it does nothing for velvet.
OK so this is what I have for parasites and ich since a smaller dragnet gave ich to my clownfish... should this be good enough? Also knowing they're sensitive should I use half of each dose because he is sensitive even though bottle says in prolonged cases I could even use 50-100% over the recommended dose

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry it was supposed to attach this pic
836451a9b86645852230cab4c19b7133.jpg
kind a want to use this because it is natural

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try to get the fish to eat frozen food and pellets.

Putting it in a sterile quarantine , with medication, won't do him any good if he is starving. IMO, it will only accelerate his death.
Also, dragonets are very hardy when it comes to ich, they are usually the last ones to show white spots, because they have the ability to release the mucus to get rid of parasites. The photo also doesn't show any white spots.
Any ideas how to encourage them to start eating other food because I've dropped it right in front of him and he just looks and swims away...

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still swimming healthily and isn't hiding in the rocks not moving constantly but that brownish coloration is still there from last night

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That product does nothing, IMO. Humblefish is your best bet.

I wish I knew how to tag him

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah also I was wondering is my fish aren't sick and I do a seven day treatment with the stuff in the pic will it hurt them? And out of curiosity wondering why I have to take my carbon filters out during this process and should I keep it out for the whole 7days or for a few hours after adding treatment then put them back in? ( sorry so many questions extremely new to this )

manny mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange one this mandarins have a protective slime which normally prevents skin diseases as for training is it male or female ive found males aggressive enough to want to hunt and kill live brine shrimp hopefully you have enough pods to sustain him while you train he will peck at it sooner or later and once he knows its food you should be on the road to success

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I've been able to get on here and I appreciate all the help! I haven't been in the marine aquarium thing for even a year yet but... he's still alive : ) I just recently move all my fish to a bigger aquarium (2 gallon to a 55gallon) included the mandarin and also I smaller female who was in the smaller tank with him.. they have plenty of food in this tank it's been up an running with out fish about 4 months but I still have the smaller tank that I'm going to restock with live foods. I have had both mandarins awhile now and they still don't want anything to do with pellets, flakes, frozen brine shrimp etc.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing the loss in color and excess mucous coming off at night or first thing in the morning? Mandarins secrete mucous at night and may look pale when the lights are off (or when they first come on.)

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins need alot of live pods to eat, one fish in a 55 gal with lots of rock is Ok two is pushing it. See if you can get live black worms for them.

OP
OP
bremort93

bremort93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing the loss in color and excess mucous coming off at night or first thing in the morning? Mandarins secrete mucous at night and may look pale when the lights are off (or when they first come on.)
Yeah its not during the day just either when I move them (streesed) or like you said when I turn my lights on or off.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back