Sick Neon Goby?

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Neon Goby for about 2 months and he always eats great but recently, his stomach is bulging and his body is getting very thin.

Attachments

• NeonGobyJan152015.jpg
    NeonGobyJan152015.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 242

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulging stomach sounds like an intestinal obstruction (i.e. constipation) or even swim bladder disorder. However, the body getting thin is more a symptom of internal parasites, but that doesn't line up with the bulging stomach - which should look sunken if internal parasites were really the issue. :squigglemouth:

If he's still eating, try to get him to eat a peeled boiled pea (same kind you & I eat). The fiber contained in that might help relieve the constipation. Not saying this is going to be a fix all for your fish, but it's a good first step that is also non-invasive. Worst case is, he refuses to eat the pea.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that does line up with all the symptoms you described, is a tumor growth or even stomach cancer (as far fetched as that may sound). If this is somehow the case, there's nothing you can do. Ditto for swim bladder disorder. All you can do is treat for other ailments which are treatable, and hope it's that instead.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I will try the pea. He/she only eats mysis/brine so he probably won't eat it. He is the only fish in my tank that won't eat pellets so I have to add frozen just for him but the others love it too.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, he/she eats great, swims around the tank, and cleans the tang so he acts normal but he definitely doesn't look normal. He used to have a much fatter body than now....he is pencil thin behind his gut now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, he/she eats great, swims around the tank, and cleans the tang so he acts normal but he definitely doesn't look normal. He used to have a much fatter body than now....he is pencil thin behind his gut now.

If you can QT, I can give you a list of meds to try on him which may (or may not) improve his condition. Meds that will target internal ailments such as intestinal parasites/worms & infection.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. Let me see if I can catch him. He is very good at hiding in the rocks and it would be painful to tear them apart.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update to this, the day after this post, he/she didn't come out during feeding time which he always used to do and I have not seen him since. I suspect that he past away and became food for the hermit crabs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update to this, the day after this post, he/she didn't come out during feeding time which he always used to do and I have not seen him since. I suspect that he past away and became food for the hermit crabs.

:sad:

Back