Sick Snowflake Eel... HELP!

arenae86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had our Snowflake Eel for six months now, he is in a 75g salt water tank. Usual diet is freeze dried jumbo krill and a few silver sides every now and then. Today I have noticed he has a bulging stomach area. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on with him?
BCB14FD2-DC33-490C-B323-F8F542A5DEB1.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to tell from the picture if there is anything wrong. I can say from experience that eels are prone to digestive worm infections that can cause issues. The best treatment I have found has always been praziquantel. I usually use Kordon Prazi Pro.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still eating?. Being 6 months in the tank and eating it is unlikely internal parasites, the consequences of internal parasitea would have shown up much earlier.

A diet dominant in krill is a killer, usually due a nutritional defiencency caused by thiaminese found to be high in krill, and many types of silversides. If you are using any other brand of silversides besides Hikara, its a goid chance they are rainbow smelt, and will also contain thiaminese.

Raising the mg level to about 1400ppm may help with digestion, and feed him something else besides krill. Shrimp, octopus, and squid are some good options: as well as chunks of salmon and tuna. If he is not taking food, after raising mg, try some live ghost shrimp.

OP
OP
A

arenae86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Here is a better picture... don’t know if that will help or not.
859788B2-D435-4A69-BC18-17A68D9FEBE3.jpeg

OP
OP
A

arenae86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, he passed away this morning. Still not 100% sure what happened. We do have another snowflake eel in the same tank and he seems fine. We are pretty upset, we get attached to our fish.

OP
OP
A

arenae86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, we will be heading to an Asian market tomorrow... do not want our other Eel to face the same fate. I’m just a bit frustrated that the marine store (highly recommended store) that we got our eels from only recommended feeding them krill and silver sides. They even said that’s what they feed their eels. We are very new to the salt water scene. We did a ton of research and yet we had to learn a hard lesson.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats just horrible advice, sorry that happened. Fresh seafood is best but I usually just buy a cheap bag of frozen "seafood medley". It has squid, octopus, shrimp, clams, scallops, ext.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry! I get attached to my fish babies as well. I also have a snowflake eel and was recommended by @lionking to cut his feedings on krill. I was under the same assumption as you about krill. I feed scallops, shrimp and squid now with an occasional krill. Here is a picture of my guy.

B78FD495-1180-4F33-8185-4D4FB25DECF0.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back