Sick Tang Feeding Suggestions?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

I picked up a sick Whitetail Bristletooth that I thought had Ich from a LFS. Well, ended up being velvet...

Was pretty sure after confirming velvet that he was a goner, but after H2O2 bath and various treatments he is pulling through and looking better everyday! I've had him in treatment for the past 10 days or so; went from being covered in trophants and on deaths door to actively swimming around without visible symptoms, good breathing, regaining coloration - so I'm optimistic!

That being said, while I have seen him pick at a few pellets at the bottom of the tank, he isn't eating much. I have tried seaweed, Chromaboost, and Mega Marine Algae along with Selcon and he doesn't seem interested...

Has anyone had any luck with other foods and sick tangs on meds?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

I picked up a sick Whitetail Bristletooth that I thought had Ich from a LFS. Well, ended up being velvet...

Was pretty sure after confirming velvet that he was a goner, but after H2O2 bath and various treatments he is pulling through and looking better everyday! I've had him in treatment for the past 10 days or so; went from being covered in trophants and on deaths door to actively swimming around without visible symptoms, good breathing, regaining coloration - so I'm optimistic!

That being said, while I have seen him pick at a few pellets at the bottom of the tank, he isn't eating much. I have tried seaweed, Chromaboost, and Mega Marine Algae along with Selcon and he doesn't seem interested...

Has anyone had any luck with other foods and sick tangs on meds?

The fish may just not have recovered enough to regain its appetite yet. Food enhancers only work to a small degree - think about when you have the stomach flu, even your favorite food is going to sound awful!

You could try some softer foods such as mysids.....

Jay

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish may just not have recovered enough to regain its appetite yet. Food enhancers only work to a small degree - think about when you have the stomach flu, even your favorite food is going to sound awful!

You could try some softer foods such as mysids.....

Jay
Thanks Jay,

How long would you be comfortable with not seeing a fish eat before it was a serious concern to you? I know they can fast for several days without concern but not sure exactly how long that is...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with Jay on appetite. Most sick fish will not have a desire to eat.
You could try a pinky nail portion of brine shrimp or a couple pieces of mysis
Don’t fret if there’s no interest. If one of your treatments were prazi pro, it will curb appetite

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

How long would you be comfortable with not seeing a fish eat before it was a serious concern to you? I know they can fast for several days without concern but not sure exactly how long that is...
I begin to become worried at about two weeks, and then very concerned at three weeks. Depends on the size of the fish though, and then, how well fed it was prior to it stopping feeding. For example, it isn't uncommon for a fish to not be fed during its travel to your store. That could mean 2 to 3 weeks with no food. If the fish then doesn't feed for you for two weeks, that ends up being too long when taken in combination.

Jay

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I begin to become worried at about two weeks, and then very concerned at three weeks. Depends on the size of the fish though, and then, how well fed it was prior to it stopping feeding. For example, it isn't uncommon for a fish to not be fed during its travel to your store. That could mean 2 to 3 weeks with no food. If the fish then doesn't feed for you for two weeks, that ends up being too long when taken in combination.

Jay
Ok good, he was eating at the store so that should buy plenty of time. Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back