Sick Wrasse Advice

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's hard to tell from this horrendous picture, but I'm concerned my Labouti Wrasse looks emaciated and hasn't grown much. He eats like a pig, otherwise looks and acts healthy, but looks like I never feed him. From looking at this picture with my rhomboid (top) you can see the difference in the 2 fish and the Labouti was actually larger in size when I first got him a year ago. Even though I QT, I'm wondering if perhaps he somehow has worms or internal parasites that might be causing this? Should I just dose Prazi in the DT just in case?

20160802_211837.jpg

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomach does look pinched. Can you catch him and treat in a dedicated HT? Prazi might do the trick, but I would run him through a course of metronidazole for good measure. Dosing metro in the DT is not recommended.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can certainly attempt to catch and QT for treatment. Would API General Cure do the trick?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomach does look pinched. Can you catch him and treat in a dedicated HT? Prazi might do the trick, but I would run him through a course of metronidazole for good measure. Dosing metro in the DT is not recommended.
I would agree with this.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

A second option although not as ideal is to soak food in metro. You may run minor risk of leaching. This is often less effective but better than inaction.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second option although not as ideal is to soak food in metro. You may run minor risk of leaching. This is often less effective but better than inaction.

Actually I like this option. Combined with Focus to bind the metro to the food it brings the Metroplex directly to the gut where the problem lives. It's more efficient and running carbon would be a good safety net for any small amount of leaching.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I like this option. Combined with Focus to bind the metro to the food it brings the Metroplex directly to the gut where the problem lives. It's more efficient and running carbon would be a good safety net for any small amount of leaching.

This is a relief because I failed at catching the little bugger tonight! I ordered Metroplex and Focus through Amazon Prime and should receive on Saturday. I'll have to settle for this route but I actually like the idea that I can treat all the fish for peace of mind. Carbon already running. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again reaching out with great advice!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a relief because I failed at catching the little bugger tonight! I ordered Metroplex and Focus through Amazon Prime and should receive on Saturday. I'll have to settle for this route but I actually like the idea that I can treat all the fish for peace of mind. Carbon already running. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again reaching out with great advice!

Make sure you feed them once a day for a minimum of 10 days. At that point you'll want to reassess the symptoms and either continue treatment for a bit longer, or change to something like general cure, or stop all together and declare them cured.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 If metro soaked food fails to fix the problem, try prazi soaked food next. One or the other should do the trick depending upon which internal parasite he has.

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the advice given. Unfortunately he went downhill fast and did not make it. RIP, little guy. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the advice given. Unfortunately he went downhill fast and did not make it. RIP, little guy. :(

Sorry for your loss sweetie. You tried

OP
OP
Mike_J

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before it died, did you see it pooping? Was the poop stringy?

Not that I had noticed. It had stopped eating all together for several days prior to losing it. I've only ever noticed big healthy poops from my fish though.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back