Sick Wrasse in QT

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

6 days ago, I got a Yellow Head Solon Wrasse and two CB clowns from LA. Everyone had been in QT with no medication since, eating, swimming, etc. Yesterday, the wrasse started acting sick: not swimming, not eating, and breathing heavy with his mouth open. I can see no external parasites, no obvious swelling, etc.

Clowns look fine. At one point I did notice one running his gills on the PVC pipe in a done bomb technique. Knowing that can be a sign of ammonia toxicity, I added Prime to the water and did a partial change. I also added API General Cure.

Wrasse is now barely moving, falling upside down, and swimming in circles when forced to move at all.

Anything I can do or time for euthanasia?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching targeting gills can also be indicative of parasites in the gills. Wrasse and clowns have a thick mucus layer. So seeing white spots on them is less likely even though they may have an affliction.

Do you have a powerhead aimed upward in your QT? Oxygenation is Key when using praziquantel. I know the wrasse was symptomatic prior to the dose I just want to make sure you have your bases covered.

The other thing that wrasse are notorious for is intestinal parasites. That could be the issue as well, have you seen any white stringy poop?

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching targeting gills can also be indicative of parasites in the gills. Wrasse and clowns have a thick mucus layer. So seeing white spots on them is less likely even though they may have an affliction.

Do you have a powerhead aimed upward in your QT? Oxygenation is Key when using praziquantel. I know the wrasse was symptomatic prior to the dose I just want to make sure you have your bases covered.

The other thing that wrasse are notorious for is intestinal parasites. That could be the issue as well, have you seen any white stringy poop?

Thank you so much for the reply. Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I did a 50% WC jic, and am closely monitoring the two clowns. I'm going to leave them unmedicated for the next couple of days since I have to go out of town this weekend. When I get back, I'm going to start the General Cure treatment again. These two are CB from ORA and should be generally disease free, but I want to make sure after the wrasse.

There definitely was white poop that stayed together in a clumpy line. I'm never sure what things are supposed to look like, lol, so maybe stringy? And yes, the return pump nozzle is aimed to the surface to ensure increased oxygenation.

THank you again for your help!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back