Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this and how bad is it?
More important how do I fix it

CCE7920A-C130-4D48-89E8-245F30B0F2BA.jpeg 1BC1DF83-FC27-4E3D-9A08-8444C1980B6C.jpeg

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some form of zoa pox to me. I have heard that dipping them in coral Rx helps but I would wait for a second opinion first.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It is zoa pox. It’s still manageable at this point.

Since furan 2 is no longer available you’ll want to order nitrofurazone. It’s the main ingredient of furan 2 and is available via the Fishroom.com (aquaLife brand). Its potentially carcinogenic so use gloves while working with it.

Basically just us it to dip the affected piece for 15-20 and then rinse it generously with aquarium water 4 days on, day or two break, then another cycle for good measure. Heavily affected polyps should be excised.

haileymw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost so many zoas from this unfortunately being new to the hobby I only have my main tank (no QT tank). Anyone know of a coral dip I could buy to fix this! OP’s photos are spot on to how my zoas are looking!

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to revive this thread, as I’m having trouble with my zoas suddenly.

Do these appear to be affected with zoopox? This colony along with 3 others out of 6 have been receding slowly and are not opening as they used to

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 41

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would like to revive this thread, as I’m having trouble with my zoas suddenly.

Do these appear to be affected with zoopox? This colony along with 3 others out of 6 have been receding slowly and are not opening as they used to

No so much a revive as an extension.

@haileymw I laid out a proven treatment plan for pox with medications currently available, good luck and if you have any questions please ask.

@Yodaman your situation is equally straight forward. These are suffering from a bacterial infection. I’ve circled the mottled areas in your pic that are a tell-tale sign. Fortunately, treatment is easy.

Chemiclean dips + lugols for 4-5 days on, 15-20 minutes with a rest day and then at least one additional cycle. Given other colonies are affected you could do dips + system wide treatment. Or one or the other. Combined you should easily be able to save what’s left. P
56DE3F70-93BA-4A23-BA59-31A9D41925FD.jpeg

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@haileymw I laid out a proven treatment plan for pox with medications currently available, good luck and if you have any questions please ask.

@Yodaman your situation is equally straight forward. These are suffering from a bacterial infection. I’ve circled the mottled areas in your pic that are a tell-tale sign. Fortunately, treatment is easy.

Chemiclean dips + lugols for 4-5 days on, 15-20 minutes with a rest day and then at least one additional cycle. Given other colonies are affected you could do dips + system wide treatment. Or one or the other. Combined you should easily be able to save what’s left. P
Thank you very much for the information!

I have other softies in the tank with similar areas of something dark covering the tissue. With that being said, I think I’m going to go ahead and treat the entire system!

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How would you do the whole tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back