Side affects to Dino X

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been battling dinos for some time now, i got a UV about 2 weeks ago, i was so happy with it, cleared up 50% percent of the dinos! but then everything came to a standstill, the dinos that are left seem to be resistant to the UV, there population is the same, not growing, not shrinking (yes this is dinos, had them id under a microspoce) my coral are still mad, did h202 dosing, now i am a dead stop, and CYANO took this opportunity to invade! what would be the side affects of dino x? i was hoping not to get here, but i need my tank back before i lose anymore coral, also (i dont see why but...) will dino x worsen the cyano?

Thank you!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have been battling dinos for some time now, i got a UV about 2 weeks ago, i was so happy with it, cleared up 50% percent of the dinos! but then everything came to a standstill, the dinos that are left seem to be resistant to the UV, there population is the same, not growing, not shrinking (yes this is dinos, had them id under a microspoce) my coral are still mad, did h202 dosing, now i am a dead stop, and CYANO took this opportunity to invade! what would be the side affects of dino x? i was hoping not to get here, but i need my tank back before i lose anymore coral, also (i dont see why but...) will dino x worsen the cyano?

Thank you!
I used Dino X on a softy tank and had mixed results. I had ostreopsis dino. What the real cure was regular 3 day complete blackouts. I would only turn on the light to feed the fish. It took about 2-3 months to get rid of them. But I suggest finding out which dino you have first, as Dino X can be harsh on lps, and especially sps coral.

Here is a lengthy, but helpful dino thread.

Thread 'Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have mainly lps, arent blackouts just a band aid for them? i did get an ID on the dinos, but they werent toxic, and mine definitely are

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all you are doing? Using a uv?

Dinos multiply extremely fast, scrubbing rocks outside the tank and vacuum to sand, change floss daily etc this should get rid of the last 50%.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am also doing H202, raising nutrients, and dosing microbacter 7, as well as a piece of filter floss on the side as a dino magnet

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DinoX is really a stop gap measure to buy you time, not really a cure. Also it is not a magic potion to make the problem disappear.

If you want to use it you should also do what their HTU “How to use” guide recommends:

When I had Dino’s I actually only did what the guide suggested and never used DinoX.
Regardless after I got over Dino I did end up with Cyano, I suspect that step is unavoidable but if you are prepared it might be mild outbreak.

Good luck,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back